Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Loteckal
Loteckal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ebook-convert: reduce memory usage

Hi there

I'm running calibre-server (2.24) on a shared hosting enviroment (centos). Main drawback is that I can only use a limited amount of memory and sure I'm not root, but can compile applications. The normal "calibre-server" consume < 100MB (RES), for the ebook-convert I would like to stay under 200MB memory.

I also wanted to fetch some recipes and send them to my kindle. but the memory usage (ebook-convert) is above my limit. It goes up to 300-400MB easily and for the "New York Times" recipe ebook-convert uses around 1'141MB.

I guess this is not fixable (without rewrite the ebook-convert itself)- but would like to get some feedback from others.

bye
Loteckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Stop converting complex sources
News recipe processing is intensive

Buy more RAM or
Switch to a lighter-weight Linux (just reduces the base use, leaving more of what you have for the user aps)

Seriously,
My mid range W7hp Laptop came with 3G RAM, My W7pro had 8G.
I have 2G in my 32bit XP system

Calibre is not some light-weight text editor. It is also made from common building blocks, that are not optimized for a single OS . Calibre is made to run on 3 OS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion in calibre is designed to maintain in-memory parsed representations of everything in the book. That avoids the overhead of re-parsing repeatedly at different stages of the conversion process. This is not going to change. Your best bet is to just install enough swap in your server to handle the load, that means your server will slow to a crawl suring large conversions, but that should be relatively rare.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook-convert, linux, memory, ressource