Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude
For instance I am a big Robin Hobb fan, loved the Farseer stuff yet there are others here who have posted how painful they found that to read.
The original Farseer trilogy was fantastic, IMO... it's Hobbs' later stuff, like the Soldier Son trilogy, that was painful. Biggest turd of a protagonist I ever read.

As far as sci-fi goes, my favorites would be:
Dan Simmons' Hyperion books.
Stephen R Donaldson's Gap series.
Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga + Void trilogy.

I love classic sci-fi, but it's mostly a nostalgic (pot-roast and potatoes) kind of love for me... and I consider most of it to be the foundation for more satisfying contemporary efforts. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Yeah, I've read all four books in the series. That was a good one. The last one was the worst, but worth reading.
Agreed...Exactly as I found the series as well.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #33
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Childhood's End was a shocking book to me as a teen. A whole new level of where science fiction could go.

But I think my all time favorite is Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven. The aliens were much more realistic to me than most other books and their society and culture were amazing.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
In the last decade or so, Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon The Deep has been the most compelling science fiction read for me. Really looking forward to his sequel, Children In The Sky, coming out this summer.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Foundation series - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by ilovejedd; 07-08-2011 at 04:16 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #36
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Too many books, too little time....

Anyone any idea how long it'll take to read all the suggestions herein ?

I got to around 3 years and wilted.....

Ruthless selection is the answer - oh bugger, Diap's waded in again...

That's another couple of months.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #37
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Some of these I've heard of and know a little about and others I've never heard of at all. Lots to check out. That's kind of why I started the thread. I like sci-fi best, and I'm having a hard time finding anything new to read. I should be able to find something good out of all this!
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #38
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
But I think my all time favorite is Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven. The aliens were much more realistic to me than most other books and their society and culture were amazing.
I had forgotten about that one. I recall really enjoying it. The idea of the alien society collapsing over and over due to over population. As a teenager my favorites were:

The Stars Are Ours by Andre Norton

Night of Masks by Andre Norton

The Time Traders by Andre Norton

Citizen of the Galaxy
by Heinlein

As and adult now I would say:

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Foundation Series
by Isaac Asimov

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

There is probably a lot of more recent stuff, over the last three decades, that I am just not aware of that I might like. Science Fiction hasn't been a priority for years.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #39
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Anyone any idea how long it'll take to read all the suggestions herein ?

I got to around 3 years and wilted.....

Ruthless selection is the answer - oh bugger, Diap's waded in again...

That's another couple of months.....
Here ya go:

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #40
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Best All-Time Science Fiction Novel is indeed difficult to name.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert A. Heinlein

Closely followed by a bunch of other books by Heinlein, Asimov, etc.

It's a wide, deep and long field with many a sub-genre spanning at least 3 axes in time.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #41
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
How about some Eastern European choices (if you want a little garlic in your stories):

War with the Newts, Karel Capek
Fiasco, Stanislaw Lem
Omon Ra, Victor Pelevin
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #42
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
1984 and A Canticle for Leibowitz are my two all time faves. A few people already suggested the Hyperion books, but I'd only go so far as Hyperion and then The Fall of Hyperion (they're effectively one book).

The Frank Herbert Dune books are also a good choice.

Maybe John Scalzi's The God Engines for something different.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #43
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It depends if you limit it to books that available as ebooks or not, it also depends if you mean SF or SF/F.

Many of the old classics (Zelazny's books for example) aren't available in ebooks yet and they are certainly in the mix for my favorite SF books.

Just books that are available as ebooks and SF rather than SF/F - Certainly Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I would throw in to the mix some of James Hogan's books, especially his early books (The Gentle Giants series). Many of the Pournelle/Niven books such as the previously mentioned Mote in God's Eye. Probably some of David Weber's books (not great literature, but great stories). For the most part, which one is best really depends on what mood I'm in.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #44
westparker
westparker began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
The Mote in God's Eye - Niven
The Gripping Hand - Niven
westparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by westparker View Post
The Mote in God's Eye - Niven
The Gripping Hand - Niven
Technically Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, not just Larry Niven.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel