Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Free or Pass?

Hi,

For several weeks I was offering coupons for my novel Boomerang at a few ebook forums, including here at mobileread. The response was really nice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a few dozen actual sales both on Smashwords and Amazon Kindle along with a few hundred free downloads.

My question is this: As an ebook person, do you only check out a new author if his/her work can be gotten for free?

And if so, if you find a writer you like through free offers, are you apt to tell others about your discovery?

Thanks!
Alan

Nov. 20 Update: A really big thanks to dreams for Boomerang's first Smashwords review:

Great fun from start to finish. The various antics of the characters had me laughing out loud as I visualized the situations. I loved following the old lady sisters, Amelia and Doreen (they were so real that I could almost hear their conversations) and Ted and Jerry (that guy had more stuff he was into than poor Ted could keep up with). If that wasn't enough, add in the alphabet soup of government agencies and “the clothing optional former onion festival queen". I had no idea how it was going to end and couldn't wait to find out. This will definitely be on my to-be-read-again list.

Last edited by plumboz; 11-21-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The way I check out a new author is mostly "word of mouth." Read a review somewhere, see it listed in a "if you liked this, you might like this" item from Amazon, hear that it is nominated for a award, a good blurb. Without some sort of information like that, the chances of me paying to read an ebook from a complete unknown are very, very, very close to zero. If it were free, however, I'd accept a copy, after which it would be lost in my vast backlog of unread books, never to be seen again.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, well, that's encouraging.

Do excerpts help?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
My question is this: As an ebook person, do you only check out a new author if his/her work can be gotten for free?
I also buy most of my books based on reviews and recommendations from respected sources. Occasionally, I will see a book that catches my eye, either with an intriguing summary or high rating/downloads, but no actual reviews or reviews that don't say much. When that happens I need at least a good free sample (one of the really nice things about Smashwords is the samples they encourage), if only to verify the writing mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, paragraphing...

With enough of the above, I will happily spend money on a new author, and I have only rarely been disappointed in the results.

The Bandit
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Word of mouth, reviews, recommendations or a title that really catches my fancy. Also the free samples from Amazon help a lot too. I know pretty quickly if I'm going to like the authors style or not.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:

Yes. A huge factor for me, since there are too many "new author" out there to choose. A free ebook would definitely catch my attention. BUT, also the format. I'd skip .pdf (what to read it conveniently with?) and .pdb (hate the limited formatting). If it's prc or epub, defintely will get and stay on my iPhone, then my Kindle (and soon my Nook for reading ePub).
Book title also interest me. When I saw "Lamb, the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend by Christopher Moore, I couldn't stop my curiousity.
And then, I also a member of a book club of some sort where we introduce new book/author to read together and have a discussion.

Quote:
And if so, if you find a writer you like through free offers, are you apt to tell others about your discovery?

Thanks!
Alan
Of course. Just to give you an example. I enjoy discussing book(s) with friends. So obviously, I want to share my (good) experience reading this and that with them. When Random House offered their free library program several months ago, I took them all. There's this book by Naomi Novik, and after reading it I bought the rest of the series. When I meet friends and people, I told them about the dragons air-force during Napoleonic Wars. A lot of them got interested.

As for excerpts, definitely a factor. mobipocket.com stll have their sample program, and then amazon, then bn.com, then shortcovers. These are the ebook sellers I buy ebooks from. If a new book/author interest me, I surely want to complete the reading experience, not only just sample/excerpts. Thus, I buy the ebook.

Cheers
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've bought books from Smashwords from authors I've never heard of before, based on the descriptions... but only very inexpensive books. (Nothing over $2.) And mostly, I want either a free sample or word-of-mouth before I'll pay for books.

I'm occasionally (but rarely) willing to take a chance on non-DRM'd ebooks under $5.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Price is a factor for me, but it doesn't have to be free. I've bought books from new authors that hang out here.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Like most bookworms, I depend on reviews and word-of-mouth. But, I've downloaded free books and gotten hooked on various authors; Tess Gerritsion for one.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Price is a factor for me, but it doesn't have to be free. I've bought books from new authors that hang out here.
The shy author coughs softly and continues hanging out at mobieread.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Hi,

For several weeks I was offering coupons for my novel Boomerang at a few ebook forums, including here at mobileread. The response was really nice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a few dozen actual sales both on Smashwords and Amazon Kindle along with a few hundred free downloads.

Thanks!
Alan
My opinion is the same as the others. If I do not know of the author odds are that I will not purchase their books unless I have received the book as a recommendation from a friend... if the book is free (or very very cheap) I may get it and add it to my long list of to read books. And in all reality it may get lost in my long list of books.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Frankly, the free (often extended) samples have wedded me to the Amazon platform in ways I'd never imagined possible. It saves me from having to visit the bookstore with a list in hand.

I always make the time to read the sample of a free or inexpensive novel when it is available.

When I get a free book and really enjoy it, I go looking for more from the author -- and I often buy it without a thought if it's inexpensive, ie <$4.

A good unique premise grabs me as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Free ebooks are definitely a good way to get me to try a new author. If I get a free ebook I like I am much more likely to buy more from her. I am also far more likely to buy an ebook from an author with a longer free sample than I am from an author with a relatively short sample. I have deleted a number of samples with no thought to buying anything from the author when I discovered that the "free sample" consisted of a title page, publishing info, table of contents and a page or two of actual story; that is an immediate turn off and will probably keep me from looking at any other work the author may have done! Make the sample at least long enough for me to give a hang about the protagonist!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Free ebooks are definitely a good way to get me to try a new author. If I get a free ebook I like I am much more likely to buy more from her. I am also far more likely to buy an ebook from an author with a longer free sample than I am from an author with a relatively short sample.
How does 75% sound?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
The shy author coughs softly and continues hanging out at mobieread.
Most MR authors tend to have really affordably priced books. Yours is $2. I mean, who can't afford that? When it is priced like that, I don't need a sample or a freebie (helps though), because it is almost like an impulse buy. just give me an idea of what the story is about.

Oh, and yes, I bought a copy of your book from smashwords.

Last edited by Hellmark; 11-18-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread