Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
wulfie
wulfie began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Calibre and Pandigital Novel running Aldiko?

Hey guys, got a question. How do I transfer books that I've converted to .epub with Calbre to my Pandigital novel running Aldiko? I know the books have to go in ebooks/import folder on my external SD, but how do I get Calibre to send to that folder with my PDN connected to my pc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wulfie
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
One good way is to use Connect to Folder, available under the connect button. It makes any folder into a 'device'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
wulfie

and does that option also convert the cover images for Aldiko?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
and does that option also convert the cover images for Aldiko?
No. It does nothing special with covers.

This thread is a fairly detailed discussion of calibre's aldiko support.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Magic Man
Magic Man began at the beginning.

Device: Android (Aldiko)
I think Aldiko creates its own covers from the cover embedded in the epub file.
Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
wulfie

and just how do you embed a cover in an epub?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
and just how do you embed a cover in an epub?
Many (most?) epubs come with covers.

Calibre can add/remove an epub cover during conversion. If you have an epub without a cover, use edit metadata to add it, then convert the book from epub to epub.

Last edited by chaley; 09-05-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added convert epub to epub detail
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
wulfie

when I convert .lrf to .epub, I download the cover and the metadata, but after I convert, I get a cover.jpg in the same folder as the .epub
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
when I convert .lrf to .epub, I download the cover and the metadata, but after I convert, I get a cover.jpg in the same folder as the .epub
Yes, you do. Calibre keeps a copy of the cover separate from the books, because some book formats cannot store covers (e.g., txt). If you had set the cover before the conversion to epub, then the cover is in the epub.

An epub is really a zip, and contains a lot of stuff. You might try getting an epub editor like sigil to see what is in one. Or perhaps the tool mentioned in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...77#post1090177
Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
wulfie

thanks for the links chaley! Sigil is a VERY nice/handy app!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
wulfie

so does aldiko get the cover from the epub or do I need a separate cover image in the same folder as the epub?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
so does aldiko get the cover from the epub or do I need a separate cover image in the same folder as the epub?
Not having an android device, I can't say what aldiko does. Magic Man speculated above that aldiko builds its covers from the contents of the epub. That seems reasonable, but being reasonable doesn't make it so.

My advice: try it. Send a book containing a cover and see what aldiko does with it.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Magic Man
Magic Man began at the beginning.

Device: Android (Aldiko)
Yes, Aldiko must extract the cover. At least, on my Android phone, if I put an .epub in the /ebooks/import folder for Aldiko, set Aldiko to import books, the book is imported into Aldiko.

It creates an ebooks/author/book/ directory, places the .epub in there and creates a .cover.png and a .thumbcover.png for it automatically (as well as a .nomedia file)
Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote