Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
bainsy
bainsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
prs-505 or kindle 3

Hi guys im new here but have found loads of info from looking around your forum
I own a Sony prs-505 which I really like but have been tempted to have a try with the new Kindle 3.
Which would you guys say is the better one? and how clear are the new e-ink pearl screen compared to the Sony 505?

ok thx for any info (and there's a good chance i would keep both e-readers if I did buy the kindle 3)
bainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsy View Post
Hi guys im new here but have found loads of info from looking around your forum
I own a Sony prs-505 which I really like but have been tempted to have a try with the new Kindle 3.
Which would you guys say is the better one? and how clear are the new e-ink pearl screen compared to the Sony 505?

ok thx for any info (and there's a good chance i would keep both e-readers if I did buy the kindle 3)
The new kindle is nice, no doubt about that, but there is a big if to be considered. The readers are incompatible with each other. Books you buy for one will not work on the other. At least they won't without stripping their DRM and converting them (The latter is pretty easy with calibre or some other tools out there, the former is a little more dicey from a legal perspective).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are plenty of folks who have a Nook or Sony for library books and a Kindle for other reading. There will be files that are easier to load on the Sony, a non-drmed Epub, then the Kindle. Then again, Amazon's store is larger then Sony's and it might be that bainsy enjoys buying through the Amazon store.

If you think you can afford both and will benefit from both go for it. Take a look at the books you can get for the Kindle at Amazon's website and other websites.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
bainsy
bainsy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok thx for the info I think the only reason I would keep my prs 505 is the fact that it is no longer made

I always pay for my books but if I had 2 readers I would have no problem removing the DRM and converting as I think paying for the book once justifys this action.

I think its the kindles pearl screen that's tempting me more than anything else dose anyone have any experience with the pearl screen and can let me know if its worth the hype?
bainsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have the DXG which has the Pearl screen. It is awesome. I am not sure it is as awesome as people are making it out to be but it is a huge improvement over the K1 screen. It is an improvement over the K2 screen but I don't think it is all that noticable. I also have younger eyes. Some of the self identified older folks have said the difference is very clear.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert