Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
What does the new Kindle and its price point mean ...

... for vendors like PocketBook? How will they react? Will they? Won't they have to? Interested in your thoughts.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It means the same thing as the $149 Nook WiFi: that they need to talk to their component suppliers and they need to make sure they offer enough value to justify whatever price point the choose to play at.
Kindles and Nooks are nice enough readers but their feature sets can use improving. There's still room for competition.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If the new Kindle's screen is an obvious improvement, then I expect that PocketBook and the others will have to dump their inventory and start over with the new eInk screen.

I see the $139 Kindle to be the new standard. A competitor will have to offer an obviously superior product, or a similar product at a lower price. Inferior products will be close to worthless, in the "give them away to poor Africans" category.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think it was in the German forum where it was hinted that Pocketbook wouldn't go with PixelQi (which had been the rage here just before Amazon released the new Kindle) and they'd go with the next-gen of eInk instead. Maybe they have some ace in their sleeve for the German fair IFA where they're supposed to present those readers (e.g. the new models sporting Pearl screens)?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what "we" need is help getting the word out that PocketBook is an excellent product. Despite Kindle sucking all the air out of the room Pocketbook offers a very good product at a very good price. the 360 is still one of the best readers available. The pocketbook firmware is still better. Kindle STILL has the same disadvantages- no expandable memory, no folders, less language support, less font support, no epub support.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know that, and so do you all, of course. But the public at large? And if they do, will they care? For me "hackability", as it were, is important, and I'm prepared to pay a premium for that; but I know a lot of people for whom the selling price is the single most important factor. Add a recognized brand name and a store that leaves little to be desired to the mix and things are starting to get interesting.

In fact, PocketBook might be able to carve out a niche market there, I'm not too worried about them right now. But the others? Kobo, even Sony?

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 07-30-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I think it was in the German forum where it was hinted that Pocketbook wouldn't go with PixelQi (which had been the rage here just before Amazon released the new Kindle) and they'd go with the next-gen of eInk instead. Maybe they have some ace in their sleeve for the German fair IFA where they're supposed to present those readers (e.g. the new models sporting Pearl screens)?
I read in german & other russian forum where PB member confirming pearl screen would initially exclusively go to kindle / sony. I doubt any new product from PB, if released in 2 to 3 months, will have Pearl screen.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I think most people don't care about technical spec much. What they expect is the product that works out-of-box. So, price is still the most crucial factor for them.
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Despite Kindle sucking all the air out of the room Pocketbook offers a very good product at a very good price. the 360 is still one of the best readers available.
----- DISCLAIMER -----
You know that I did my share of spreading the word, educating new users, discovering and publishing hacks, translating obscure Russian speaking pages with interesting stuff and other things for the community.
----- End of DISCLAIMER -----

Well, you - the distributor for USA - still have price point where an *educated* user, that did his pre-purchase research homework and decided that he values firmware features, the openness of firmware and good hardware design might decide they will pay the premium.

Let's have a look.
Kindle 3:
Wifi, better screen, $139

PocketBook 360 purchased in USA
better firmware (than K3), third-party addons, has lid, $199

PocketBook 360 purchased from www.PocketBook.de
better firmware (than K3), open to third-party addons, has lid, Preis: 239 EURO!

When considering Kindle 3 firmware, do not forget they support, Cyrillic, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and possibly other languages, such as Central European ones now.

What do you think?

There is another aspect of the Amazon Kindle deal that few people noticed. Amazon sells Kindles in Europe for the same price as in USA. Nobody else does that. You do have to pay postage and you do have to pay VAT in your country, but it still is something like
$139 + $30 postage (A guess. Might be more or less) + 20%VAT on top of price AND postage (Bloody European Bureaucrats!) = $202 = 155 Euro

I have no idea whether Amazon is selling with a loss, or with zero profit, or with modest profit.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
It's obvious that Pocketbook will need to strengthen their niche aspect. Price-wise and stock-wise, it is completely impossible to compete with someone who can lose the profits of a month's worth of stock and sell for half your price.

BTW, kacir, Pocketbook has pushed a slight price reduction of 20 euro.

Last edited by Logseman; 07-30-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru

I think the shipping cost for the Kindle to Europe is 21$. Yes, you have to pay your country's VAT but you can hardly blame Amazon for that. Apart from that, as kacir said, I applaud their willingness to sell to a global market (something that many competitors, particularly Barnes & Noble, seem unable or unwilling to do) and at a global price.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Amazon most likely selling with modest profit. At that price point, they would take advantage from huge increase in sales in no. of units and their main cash cow is their well developed kindle book store. Also advantage for Amazon pricing is they directly sell and not through dealers.

Dedicated ebook reader manufacturer can never able to match their price. What is expected from pocketbook is very good quality hardware design (sturdy design, not cheap plastics), excellent user friendly firmware with regular upgrades listening to customer feedback, good service. With all these advantages, people would be willing to pay premium price.
Hardware quality would definitely play an important role in decision making of regular non-computer savvy customers.

Last edited by krish; 07-30-2010 at 07:03 AM.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Let's have a look.
Kindle 3:
Wifi, better screen, $139

PocketBook 360 purchased in USA
better firmware (than K3), third-party addons, has lid, $199
The Pocketbook is going to tank. You have a device with the old screen and 5" at that. The K3 has a new screen and at 6". It may not sound like much, but a 6" screen vs a 5" screen is a big deal especially when the 6" screen is pearl and the 5" is Vizplex. Basically, 5" readers are toast unless they can go down to $100.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may not sound like much, but a 6" screen vs a 5" screen is a big deal.
I have used 6" device for quite a few years. I am using 5" PocketBook since November 2009.
I would still buy 5", even if the 6" unit was for the same price. For me portability and compact form factor is more important. I consider 5" to be ideal size for casual reading of fiction that can be repaginated to my exact liking.

I can have as much text on my 5" user configurable device as an average Kindle user on an average Kindle edition. Kindle books have relatively large margins, status line at the top, progress bar at the bottom. And you can't configure those things on Kindle.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have used 6" device for quite a few years. I am using 5" PocketBook since November 2009.
I would still buy 5", even if the 6" unit was for the same price. For me portability and compact form factor is more important. I consider 5" to be ideal size for casual reading of fiction that can be repaginated to my exact liking.

I can have as much text on my 5" user configurable device as an average Kindle user on an average Kindle edition. Kindle books have relatively large margins, status line at the top, progress bar at the bottom. And you can't configure those things on Kindle.
Amazon Kindle..The iBooks of readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote