Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
A few questions

Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a good while now but there are still a few things I haven't found out how to do and I haven't been able to find the answers.

1 - Is it possible to set a default font when converting a book to epub? I have a lot of old lit files to convert. I know how to set the size but not the actual font. I've had cases where the lit file was in a sans serif font (looks like Arial) instead of one with serifs. I prefer Georgian if possible. Sometimes if I convert to mobi first that one will come out with a good font and then I can convert mobi to epub. Other times I've had to use Sigil to change the font but that's kind of cumbersome.

2 - Is it possible to filter on a user defined columns. I'm trying to get my library in order and have set up user defined columns of the various bookstores so I'm sure I've actually downloaded everything I've purchased. I can sort by column or do a search but I've abbreviated the names - FW for Fictionwise, BN for Barnes & Noble, etc. so I don't get just the books I want.

3 - Epub tweaks. Whenever I try to do this it opens up a web browser window that I can't edit. I always have to end up opening in Sigil instead when I want to tweak.

Thank you for any help with these.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a good while now but there are still a few things I haven't found out how to do and I haven't been able to find the answers.

1 - Is it possible to set a default font when converting a book to epub? I have a lot of old lit files to convert. I know how to set the size but not the actual font. I've had cases where the lit file was in a sans serif font (looks like Arial) instead of one with serifs. I prefer Georgian if possible. Sometimes if I convert to mobi first that one will come out with a good font and then I can convert mobi to epub. Other times I've had to use Sigil to change the font but that's kind of cumbersome.

2 - Is it possible to filter on a user defined columns. I'm trying to get my library in order and have set up user defined columns of the various bookstores so I'm sure I've actually downloaded everything I've purchased. I can sort by column or do a search but I've abbreviated the names - FW for Fictionwise, BN for Barnes & Noble, etc. so I don't get just the books I want.

3 - Epub tweaks. Whenever I try to do this it opens up a web browser window that I can't edit. I always have to end up opening in Sigil instead when I want to tweak.

Thank you for any help with these.
#3 is easy
After you explode the EPUB with Tweak, right click, Edit or Open With to chose a different editor (Notepad++....). Your browser is the default for HTML (what web pages are built on). Open With allows alternate actions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
I think what you're looking for is restricting the view to a saved search. Also, remember that you can limit searching to a certain column by using the lookup name, for example
Code:
authors:"John Smith"
will search for "John Smith" inside the authors column. (User defined columns are prefixed with a hash sign ('#').)
What you'll actually need to do to get certain views depends on how you've set up the columns. If you can't figure it out yourself, ask again with more details
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I think what you're looking for is restricting the view to a saved search. Also, remember that you can limit searching to a certain column by using the lookup name, for example
Code:
authors:"John Smith"
will search for "John Smith" inside the authors column. (User defined columns are prefixed with a hash sign ('#').)
What you'll actually need to do to get certain views depends on how you've set up the columns. If you can't figure it out yourself, ask again with more details
Thanks for your help, I got it to work.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
bookfanmd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
#3 is easy
After you explode the EPUB with Tweak, right click, Edit or Open With to chose a different editor (Notepad++....). Your browser is the default for HTML (what web pages are built on). Open With allows alternate actions
Thanks. I just downloaded Notepad++ and was able to tweak.
Advert