Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Dasha
Connoisseur
Dasha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Smile Can I Change the Page or Screen Colour K3

I posted this here before' but don't know where it went It's a simple question maybe a Request for later Additions to Kindle I just wanted to know how OR if I can change the Screen Color Or the Page color so that it is "Off White" just like an ordinary book? I find the Greenish Grey Screen' color on my Kindle is dull and sometimes (unless in direct light) hard to read" this is my only Request as the rest is all Good. Maybe this could be done in Calibre before Loading the Book? It seem's a shame that the Pages don't default to a natural book page color as they would look in real life, a simple wish and I would not think a big deal Cheers Dasha
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is not general information. It is a Kindle question. So it should be posted in the Kindle support forum (down the screen a ways).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
if I can change the Screen Color Or the Page color so that it is "Off White" just like an ordinary book?
No. The color cannot be changed.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
No.. and I agree the greyish color is distracting in anything less than full light. I like the nooks creme better, but even it isn't ideal.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Zarich, that was an ad for Nook?
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
No.. I don't even own an nook. Well a color, but not normal. I find the kindle superior in most other ways. Just I like the creme background of the nook better than the kindles grey.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha View Post
I posted this here before' but don't know where it went
Hi, Dasha. I don't know where your other thread went! I had answered your question there, and now I can't find it anywhere either! Oh well. Glad to see that your question regarding the screen has been answered here!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Hey Zarich, just a joke, man
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Dasha
Connoisseur

Okay Thanks for the info Dasha
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Kindle devices are only currently available in grayscale which means that it's only technically possible to show shades of gray. That's just how the e-ink technology it uses works - so changing the background to a cream which is a colour is not only a big deal but impossible with the current technology.

It is possible to make e-ink colour devices but from what I've seen, the colours are very dull and washed out which is why I suspect Amazon hasn't gone with this route yet. The other option would be to use the same tech as a iPhone or nook colour which are backlit but more like reading from a computer screen instead.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
Dasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Kindle devices are only currently available in grayscale which means that it's only technically possible to show shades of gray. That's just how the e-ink technology it uses works - so changing the background to a cream which is a colour is not only a big deal but impossible with the current technology.

It is possible to make e-ink colour devices but from what I've seen, the colours are very dull and washed out which is why I suspect Amazon hasn't gone with this route yet. The other option would be to use the same tech as a iPhone or nook colour which are backlit but more like reading from a computer screen instead.
Thanks you I will have a Look DashaRegards
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have actually not seen another k3. But I have read that the "background" gray can vary from very pale to a bit too gray. I don't know if that is true or not.

I do know I compared mine to some recently purchased paperbacks, both hardbound and paperback. Those were a cream or beige and I noticed that my k3's gray was really not much deeper/darker than the paper in those books. I know that very few books use stark white paper - magazines tend to have WHITE paper.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think it may be possible with current eink tech to have background that is something other than grey, as the nook's is slightly beige (or is that an optical illusion of the bezel?) We're not talking about colors, just tinting the whites. I think it would be more pleasing to the eyes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote