Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #46
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
is there anything similar to KaDeWa (I think that's right) in Denmark? I know for sure they carried the Old El Paso canned chilies as well as the tomatillo sauce. whatever you would do for a gravy type of thickness is what you are going for. use any leftover flour to assist in making the gravy. I know it's not terribly helpful but I am totally a touchy feely non measuring cook.
KaDeWe, I think. Not here, no, but there's other alternatives and specialty shops, I just have to go look At least I live in a larger city. Mexican food and Tex-mex never really made it to Denmark, so there's very little variety of what you can get. A "Chili con carne" here is basically bologna sauce with chili and 5 kidney beans per person, usually served with rice
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #47
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
haha! yeah, I remember what I was served in Germany!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #48
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
A "Chili con carne" here is basically bologna sauce with chili and 5 kidney beans per person, usually served with rice
Ha is right. I can her Sir Sir Ralph loading the .22 right now.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #49
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I wouldn't blame him. It's not that I know a lot about what it's supposed to taste like, never had chili in its home habitat, but this can't be right! *lol*
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #50
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Ha is right. I can her Sir Sir Ralph loading the .22 right now.

WDE.
well, there are other chilies that are very legit with beans. I'll do the chicken and white bean chilie later.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #51
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My Chili Recipe

Chili is about more than heat, but is flavor. Here's a mild heat chili recipe that I think you will find satisfying.

1. Put a chopped bell pepper and chopped onion in a skillet. Brown and season with garlic salt and pepper a couple pounds of ground round or stew meat in a TBL of butter. Don't drain the butter. Put it all into a large crock pot.

2. Dump in 2 large cans of diced tomatoes.

3. Dump in a drained can of light kidney beans.

4. Dump in an undrained can of pinto beans. (The bean juice is starchy and will thicken the chili slightly)

5. Stir in 4 to 6 TBL of any ground chili powder.

Let this simmer in the crock pot all day. When you get home from work, make a quick pan of cornbread to go with it. Season to taste with hot sauce or jalapeno slices and cheese.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #52
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Am's nanna's drop scones

Drop scones are also known as Scotch pancakes and pikelets. They are a cross between scones, crumpets and pancakes. I used to have these as a tea-time treat as a child.

Makes about 16-18, depending on the size of your tablespoon

Ingredients
  • 120g plain flour
  • 2 scant teaspoons baking powder
  • (you can substitute 120g self raising flour for the above two items. My family very rarely has self raising flour on hand, so we mix our own)
  • Small pinch salt
  • 45g granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 pint milk (I use skimmed)
  • Vanilla - this can either be in the form of vanilla sugar in place of the sugar (my nanna's method), vanilla salt in place of the salt (my method), or a very small drop of real vanilla essence.
  • Small amount of butter or other similar fat for frying (I use TREX, which is a white vegetable margarine that is great in making pastry)

Equipment
  • Ideally a griddle, but any frying pan will do - the larger the pan, the more you can do at once!
  • Non-stick pallette knife/fish slice etc

Method
  • Put the butter/trex/etc into pan, and heat on a medium heat
  • Put all dry ingredients in one bowl
  • Beat the egg and the milk together and add to dry ingredients
  • Beat all of it until you have a smooth, thick batter
  • Drop a teaspoon of mixture into the pan - if the top starts going bubbly within a minute, it's the right temperature. If it takes longer, it needs to heat up a bit more. If it takes a lot quicker, turn the heat down!
  • When the temperature is right, drop a tablespoon of batter in the pan.
  • Leaving enough space for the batter to spread a bit, drop in as many more tablespoons as the pan will take
  • Watch the batter - when the top is full of holes and looks like it's setting, flip it over. The underside should be a pale golden brown - if it's too pale, you can always flip it back over.
  • Wait for a few seconds, then flip back over to check the underside - if both sides are golden enough, put on a plate and cover with a clean cloth whilst you cook the remainder.
  • Eat warm with butter. Jam, honey and syrup all work well as toppings.

Last edited by ShortNCuddlyAm; 05-10-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: sorting out formatting
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #53
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Traditional scones

These are not the nice neat and tidy looking scones you can buy in supermarkets and some cafes. They are a bit sprawly and pitted, but they are light and tasty.

Makes 10-12 scones, depending how good you are at cutting the things out!

Ingredients
Plain scones
  • 500g plain flour
  • 8 tsp baking pwder
  • (you can substitute 500g of self raising flour for the above - my mother in law reckons it tastes better if you do)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 75g fat (ideally a mix of about 1/2 something like TREX and 1/2 something like butter. It works well using a spread like benecol, too)
  • 300ml milk (I use skimmed)
  • Extra flour for rolling
Lightly greased baking tray(s)

For sweet plain scones add:
  • 75g granulated sugar
  • Small drop of vanilla (or use vanilla sugar or vanilla salt in place of the salt or sugar)

For fruit scones add:
  • 75g raisins (or sultanas)
  • 25g sugar

For cheese scones add:
  • 75g extra mature cheddar
  • 1 tsp English mustard powder
  • (I usually put more cheese and mustard in - but don't put too much cheese in as the scones will get too soggy)
If you want to glaze the tops, one beaten egg (I don't do this)

Method
  • Preheat oven to 220c
  • Put dry ingredients in a bowl (this includes cheese, raisins etc)
  • Add the fat and rub in until it's like wet sand
  • Add all the milk in one go and mix together quickly
  • Turn the mix out onto a floured surface and roll until it's just deeper than 1" thick
  • Using a cutter that's about 2 1/2" diameter, cut out as many circles as you can.
  • Ball up the remainder, roll out, continue cutting
  • carry on until you have used all the dough
  • Put in oven to bake for about 10 minutes - check after 8 to see if they're golden.
  • Eat on day of baking.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #54
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yay!! Thank you for the scone recipes! There are a lot of good recipes on this thread now, I'm going to have to print them out and head for the kitchen.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #55
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
pppfffftttttt !!!!!

Pikelets are NOT the same as Scotch pancakes ..... ARGH !!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #56
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
pppfffftttttt !!!!!

Pikelets are NOT the same as Scotch pancakes ..... ARGH !!!!!
But they use the same ingredients and are cooked the same way ???

Ahh - OK - a quick google shows that pikelet is apparently what Australians and New Zealanders call drop scones/scotch pancakes; as well as them also being a more crumpet-y type thing.

And another ahhh - further googling suggests drop scones/scotch pancakes may also be called pikelets in Wales.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #57
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pikelets and crumpets are two totally different things. A pikelet is flat and about six inch round and a crumpet is about three inch round. Quite similar in taste, though I think pikelets have a wee bit of yeast in them. Used to have them as a kid - toasted - with lots of butter which used to melt into the holes on the top. They often made my teeth 'feel on edge'.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #58
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Pikelets and crumpets are two totally different things. A pikelet is flat and about six inch round and a crumpet is about three inch round. Quite similar in taste, though I think pikelets have a wee bit of yeast in them. Used to have them as a kid - toasted - with lots of butter which used to melt into the holes on the top. They often made my teeth 'feel on edge'.
They might have had bicarb of soda in them - too much of that in scones makes my teeth feel on edge.

It's interesting how the name for one food item can have so many different regional/national variations!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #59
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
They might have had bicarb of soda in them - too much of that in scones makes my teeth feel on edge.

It's interesting how the name for one food item can have so many different regional/national variations!
yes - it always did cause problems visiting relations elsewhere in the country - interesting that M&S only had pikelets as I knew them in Yorkshire - but no where else ...
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #60
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
yes - it always did cause problems visiting relations elsewhere in the country - interesting that M&S only had pikelets as I knew them in Yorkshire - but no where else ...
I shall have to look out for them in M&S! (I try to avoid the bakery section, it's very bad for my wasitline )