Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
rwstowe
rwstowe began at the beginning.

Device: rwstowe
Math Equations are Unreadable

Hello,

I am just starting with Calibre so that I can manage my ebooks more easily. It looks like a fantastic tool!

I have a favorite kindle engineering text book file with extension azw, and file size about 20MB. When I import it into Calibre (with the DeDRM plug-in installed), a .htmlz file is created.

If I open the .htmlz file using Calibre, it takes a few minutes to open completely to where I can navigate. Additionally, the math font for the equations does not display in a readable format. When I displayed the ebook in Kindle, the math font was readable and understandable, so it seems that something was lost in the import/conversion.

I unzipped the htmlz file and tried to insert the following html code into the main html file:
<!-- This script tag is needed to make calibre's ebook-viewer recpgnize that this file needs math typesetting -->
<script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
// This line adds numbers to all equations automatically, unless explicitly suppressed.
MathJax.Hub.Config({ TeX: { equationNumbers: {autoNumber: "all"} } });
</script>

The results were no change in the readability.

I also tried convert the .htmlz file into .epub with no success in being able to read the equations.

If anybody might know how to solve this problem, I would be very grateful for your response.
rwstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sounds like the book was one of the fortunately-rare Topaz books.

They are essentially a series of images with OCR data, and when DeDRMed they become HTMLZ files instead of the more usual AZW3/MOBI.

There is literally nothing you can do about them -- they never had the data to begin with, but you thought they did because of the pictures.
If you take a look at the raw HTML, you will probably find that there is no actual Mathjax there -- not to mention, Kindles don't actually support Mathjax to begin with, so that was never your problem...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
rwstowe
rwstowe began at the beginning.

Device: rwstowe
Hi eschwartz,

Thank you for your response. It has helped me to understand the problem.
rwstowe is offline   Reply With Quote