Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I got 28 1/2 days off of my first battery charge (K3 Wi-Fi)

I keep wireless off all the time, unless needed. When I am done with the Kindle, I flick it off immediately, I don't wait for it to sleep. I read about 2-3 hours per day. I might have taken 1 or 2 days off there, but that's still pretty close to what Amazon claimed.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Interesting. Nice to see that their estimate was about right.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
That is pretty dang impressive!

I am good with the K2 for now, but as a deployed sailor, battery life is VERY important.

I sure hope they keep this battery life for the K4, that is where I figure I will upgrade.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Keeping WiFi off hurts syncing.

I keep WiFi on all the time since I Sync highlights, notes and bookmarks between my K3 WiFi and my Kindle for PC application.

That way I can read on both and its like reading with one application only.

If you keep WiFi off, you may forget to Sync both before and after every reading session.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I don't have to worry about syncing, so no need to leave Wi-Fi on all the time, for me at least.
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I got 3 weeks on my first charge, with Wi-Fi off most of the time. I use the slider to put the K3 to sleep when I finish reading. Maybe I would get 4 weeks if I turned it off?

Sleep mode is convenient, though. And 3 weeks is pretty good, IMO.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
what were your book uploading patterns?

i uploaded some 10 - 20 books at a time per week in the past ~4 weeks, I charged Kindle again in the beginning of last week (at ~15-20% of battery charge, as some manuals recomend it) after two weeks use. I am already at half of my charge for the second charging. I did read some posts that indexing can really drain battery. Wifi only to get books wirelessly - off after that.

How's everybody's else batteries doing?
Also how critical is the first charge in your opinion? I think I might have underchaged Kindle the first time i used it.

Last edited by mrzerga; 09-22-2010 at 02:47 AM.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
robins777
Enthusiast
robins777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-- Archos 5 A
I have had mine nearly 3 weeks and have just charged mine for the third time. I now have about 300 book on it, half downloaded through the Wi-Fi, so I expect that and the indexing is what is taking a lot of battery power I read about 3 hours a day sometimes more and keep forgetting to turn the Wi-Fi off.
robins777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
i was curious about this too. glad to see an estimate.
i haven't had the patience to let the battery drain. i usually charge the device once it's past the halfway mark (takes about 2h and 1/2 to get back "green").

hahaha: just noticed your K3 wifi is called Raistlin!!!! l-o-l someone else reading dragonlace. great character!

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 09-22-2010 at 05:37 AM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The wife has had hers 3 weeks now and is running at about 1/4 charge left (time for recharge). Been used anywhere between 1-3 hours a day, wifi is only switched on when surfing the amazon store or syncing. The Kindle only has around 20 books on it so not too much indexing going on.

The first couple of days she had it I used it reasonably heavy having a good play with it (considering it was meant to be mine....).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Quake1028
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post
what were your book uploading patterns?
I put around 75 books on it on the first go. After that, I put one book or so here and there via Calibre and Wi-Fi. I have around 90 books on it right now, IIRC.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
Quake1028
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
I got 3 weeks on my first charge, with Wi-Fi off most of the time. I use the slider to put the K3 to sleep when I finish reading. Maybe I would get 4 weeks if I turned it off?

Sleep mode is convenient, though. And 3 weeks is pretty good, IMO.
I should have been more clear in my post: I do exactly what you do. I meant I don't wait for the Kindle to auto sleep. I don't turn it all the way off, just to the screensaver.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I am not seeming to get that kind of battery life. I have 1200 books on my K3 3G, and I read sometimes 8 hours per day, and in a day or so, I am down to 1/4 battery life. I keep the WiFi off all the time.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I am not seeming to get that kind of battery life. I have 1200 books on my K3 3G, and I read sometimes 8 hours per day, and in a day or so, I am down to 1/4 battery life. I keep the WiFi off all the time.
Downloading and indexing 1,200 books crushed your K3 initially. I know my DX needed to be recharged pretty quick after I downloaded 400 books on the first day. I want to say that I had to charge it 4 hours after I charged it the first time when I did that. So 1,200 books would account for a fair amount of battery drain. Once you start adding a book here, a book there you will notice better battery life.

The estimates are based on people who read an average amount, I would guess that average means 2 hours a day. The people who are getting a month long charge are reading 1-3 hours a day. Since you read 8 hours a day, you are closer to doing 4 average days reading in one sitting.

If you have finished your book dump and sort and continue to read 8 hours a day, I would expect that you would need to charge your Kindle once a week.

All numbers are based on vague memories and guesses at what is meant by the average reader.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Keep in mind that if you connect it to a PC through a micro-USB cable, the device will fully charge itself in about 4 to 6 hours.
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote