Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
What format would you use for storage?

So I'm sitting here with my shiny new reader and thinking to myself that I don't really want to convert all my files straight away to the sony format, since I'm likely to have a different reader eventually.
However I would like to convert everything to one format that will play nice with caliber, and most ebook readers so that I can delete the source files and have one copy in a format that is only one conversion step away from sony, and readable on whatever I buy in future.
what format should I choose?
I'll be converting some .PDFs, .lit files, .html files and a few .docs

EDIT:
also, what is your format of choice for actuall use in the reader?
I can create PDFs of the right size but I'm not sure if they load slower then the sony proprietary format.

Last edited by JGB; 07-04-2008 at 12:26 AM.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd go HTML because it supports text formatting and images and you'll easily be able to convert to other formats if necessary. RTF might be worth looking at but I haven't used it much.

Definately don't go with LRF or PDF.

I convert everything to LRF to put on my reader. But that is because most of my ebooks are initially in PDF format.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 07-04-2008 at 04:17 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
rtf or html
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best archive formats are the richest in features. So the best in the future will be ePub, but there aren't enough tools for ePub creation or conversion yet.

The best today is OEB, which almost no reader reads directly (the exception is FBReader) but that is what LIT and MOBI are based on. MOBI is not a good archive format, because MobiPocket Creator starts with an OEB ebook and converts it to MOBI - it won't even take a MOBI as a starting point because it is a "reader" format not an "archive/source" format. On the other hand LIT is a very thin wrapper round OEB, and ConvertLIT can explode LIT to OEB. This is why LIT is still the best format for DRMed ebooks, even though MOBI and eReader are both now also crackable. OEB is essentially html, images, and a .opf file. So HTML good too. If you have any multi-format ebooks (e.g. from Baen or FictionWise), I suggest archiving the LIT version (just in case) and then downloading their Sony version.

Absent good ePub tools, I would be inclined to archive your existing ebooks "as is". This definitely looses no information, and perhaps better conversion tools will exist in the future. This is particularly true of PDF, I don't think you loose much by converting RTF and DOC to HTML today.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't use any Sony format if I can help it. In fact I'm happy with txt and html
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I would recommend as is now and epub once support for it matures.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Ok, thanks.
I think I'll convert what I can to .lit in one big folder, then convert that to sony format, keep both formats with the .lit for storage and organizing, the sony for reading and all the original files as a compressed archive.

whew...
I wish there was one universally happy format.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote