Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Has the internet leads to natural monopolies and will it be different for ebooks?

search: Google (nearest competitor is?)
video: Youtube (nearest competitor is?)
social networking: Facebook (nearest competitor is?)
music: Apple Itunes (nearest competitor is?)
face to face video: Skype (nearest competitor is?)
auctions: Ebay (nearest competitor is?)
retail: Amazon (nearest competitor is?)
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
-Never go to Youtube unless someone sends me a link I'm interested in.
-Never go to Facebook at all
-Don't listen to music and if I did I wouldn't use Apple Itunes
-Though I've heard of Skype I don't know what it does.
-Will not use Ebay at all
-Will not use Amazon at all

Though I do use Google extensively, I do know of competitors: Bing for instance.

I also refuse to use things or see things that everyone says I HAVE to see... for instance I've never seen some of the big blockbusters like Titanic, Roots, and others I'll probably think of later. (still having my morning coffee)

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
YouTube is for music-on-demand
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The difference to old world is scale. One just don't need to reach huge threshold to be profitable. I don't believe one can reach true monopoly in digital-market. It would mean that one party controls every producers, and it's just not realistic. Scaling in small scale is quite easy and barriers of entering to market are low. There will be new players at least when they think they might make more profit by making new service than going with old one.

It's natural to have one or two big players, like Steam, but then there is also various smaller ones.

As long as devices aren't controlled and limited by one party, there is room for the smaller fish...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which service is all the short homemade videos?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use it in exactly this way. If my boys (6 and 4) ask for a song that I don't have on my iPod (which happens frequently), I find it on YouTube, plug my iPhone into the car stereo, and everyone is happy.

Well, everyone except for me, because now I'm listening to Lady Gaga or something similar.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Which service is all the short homemade videos?
That too. But I mostly use it for music.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I use it in exactly this way. If my boys (6 and 4) ask for a song that I don't have on my iPod (which happens frequently), I find it on YouTube, plug my iPhone into the car stereo, and everyone is happy.

Well, everyone except for me, because now I'm listening to Lady Gaga or something similar.
My condolences. It's all part of being a parent; and cheaper too.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Most you tube videos aren't "short home-made" ones any more. I mean just visiting the front page the majority are ongoing episodes or series.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Search: Yahoo, Bing.
Video: Vimeo, UStream
Social: Twitter, LinkedIn
Music: Amazon, Pandora, Naptster
Videochat: Google Talk, Facetime
For auctions, others have tried but eBay certainly seems to be a runaway.
retail: Everyone else under the sun, including Walmart, and Buy.com

Being the most popular, or even the biggest, doesn't make you a monopoly, in any way, shape or form.

eBay is the only example in the list that I can't think of any viable competition for.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Search: Yahoo, Bing.
Video: Vimeo, UStream
Social: Twitter, LinkedIn
Music: Amazon, Pandora, Naptster
Videochat: Google Talk, Facetime
For auctions, others have tried but eBay certainly seems to be a runaway.
retail: Everyone else under the sun, including Walmart, and Buy.com

Being the most popular, or even the biggest, doesn't make you a monopoly, in any way, shape or form.

eBay is the only example in the list that I can't think of any viable competition for.
+1

And you're right about Ebay as far as dominating auctions but when it comes to buying used items in general I turn to Amazon Marketplace and Craigslist before I look to Ebay.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The interesting thing about the internet is that competition has a slightly different meaning. Yes, you have the giants, but it is very easy to access their competitors.

If you want to have some fun, try http://www.millionshort.com -- it is a search engine that excludes the top million websites from the search results. Oddly enough, the results are almost as good as Googles and they are usually more interesting.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
-Never go to Youtube unless someone sends me a link I'm interested in.
-Never go to Facebook at all
-Don't listen to music and if I did I wouldn't use Apple Itunes
-Though I've heard of Skype I don't know what it does.
-Will not use Ebay at all
-Will not use Amazon at all

Though I do use Google extensively, I do know of competitors: Bing for instance.

I also refuse to use things or see things that everyone says I HAVE to see... for instance I've never seen some of the big blockbusters like Titanic, Roots, and others I'll probably think of later. (still having my morning coffee)

AJ

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. Not everyone has to be a lemming just because there are lots of lemmings running to a product.....

Micrsoft Word....Never used it since Open Office 1.0, now use Office Libre and Atlantic word processor.

Ebay....here in Japan most people use Rakuten or Yahoo Auction. There is life outside the Euro-North American zone.

Music....Never use Itunes. Lots of places to buy music. I listen to SOMA.FM and donate to them.

Ipod...Never had one.... COWON wins hands down in my book.

Social Networking.... Not enough expletives to describe them.

Oh...yes...have not seen nor will ever see the Titanic, Jurrasic Park, or Saturday Night Fever.

Search...Try Dogpile sometimes..Bing, yahoo, ...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The technology space is littered with once dominate players like this. It's not a monopoly, it's temporary market dominance and it can change very quickly.

Novell
WordStar
WordPerfect
Visicalc
Lotus 123
Ashton Tate (dBase)
Myspace
etc...
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
YouTube is a gold mine of fascinating video. I never used it much till recently--I thought it was all silly homemade video. But there episodes of old TV shows, full-length movies, documentaries, news footage, concert clips, etc.--all sorts of truly fascinating stuff. DailyMotion.com is also good for video.

Regarding the other Internet giants: Google is the best search engine; Bing is truly horrible. I buy my music from Amazon. I use both eBay and iOffer. For other assorted stuff, I buy a lot from Amazon but also from retailers like Target, Wal-mart, Best Buy, Newegg. I don't do social networking, and Skype was the first thing I removed from my new computer--no thank you!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote