Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
JohnnyRico
JohnnyRico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Kindle/Iphone Syncing + fail to update bookmarks

Hello everyone

I'm popping on here to see if you guys know anything that would help since Amazon hasn't been able to fix this.

I've had a K2 for a year and a half, a few months ago I noticed that it wouldn't sync with my iphone or my iMac. Basically it's similar to the problem here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93136

I'd read ahead on my iphone, my kindle would pick it up. I read ahead in my kindle, my iphone or mac would NOT pick it up. In addition any bookmarks I make on the kindle isn't picked up by the kindle daily reader or by any other device (conversely bookmarks made by iphone are seen on my kindle). It's not a whispernet problem since I get my daily blog updates, magazines and book purchases with no problem.

I have made sure the synchronization is active, I go to home and then tell my kindle device to sync when I'm done with the book, to no avail. I've even replaced the Kindle twice (once with a K2 US, now with a K2 Global) and nothing works. I am at a complete loss, I thought initially I had just downloaded a pdf or something that caused problems but it's clearly not that. I am frustrated beyond measure since now I can't read outside of the kindle and I can't figure out what's going on.

for listening
JohnnyRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Ah very frustrating for you It does sound like you are doing everything right which leaves me to suspect it is either down to the device (has it had an update in the last couple of months - is this causing an issue) or problems with certain books.

I have had this problem with syncing between my K3 and my iPhone which lasted for about a week and I'm still not sure whether it was just the books I was reading at the time or whether an update fixed it.

Syncing can only happen naturally with Amazon purchases that haven't been liberated so do check that the books are ones which you've downloaded from Amazon for your kindle.

The only workaround I can see right now (which is what I did) is to input the location manually when you switch device. Bit of a pain but it works. Hope your problem gets fixed.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
JohnnyRico
JohnnyRico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm definitely not trying to sync books I got from Project Gutenburg's main sight and the like, I'm talking about books I bought from Amazon that for some reason won't sync correctly. I initially thought it was a problem with the device itself as i loaded pdfs I snatched online here and there but it hasn't been the case with the new kindle I got. At this point I'm completely at a lost and I don't know what to do.
JohnnyRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Make sure that Annotation Back up is enabled in the settings page. I had the same problem as you do and that was it...

If you go to the settings page and it says "turn off" next to the annotation back up it is good to go.

Also, the Kindle syncs when it goes to sleep...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote