Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Any Paperwhite refugees here?

Hey guys--I recognize a few names from the Kindle forum, where I spent a few successive weeks in a posting frenzy back in October, when many of us were trying to desperately to get a non-blotchy, non-color-blobby Paperwhite and failing. I even ended up sending mine (at the request of Kindle support) to their engineering dept in Cupertino, but never heard anything back, and ultimately ended up returning all my blobby units. I've been using my Kindle Keyboard since then, and keeping an eye on the market. I keep waiting to see a Kobo Glo in person in Best Buy, or even a newer Paperwhite (to see if manufacturing quality has improved), but my local B&Ms are horridly stocked.

End of TL;DR section.

So I'm here because...signs point to someone getting me an iPad Mini for Christmas. Generally I'm one of those e-ink purists for late-night reading, but I've recently made some changes that may help with my tendency to eyestrain, so I'm excited to potentially try out the iPad Mini for reading, something I'd never done with my prior iPads (for reasons of eyestrain and also way too bulky for my small hands).

For those of you who tried and returned the PW, how is the Mini reading experience for you so far?
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I don't have the iPad mini, but I also sent back my replacement Paperwhite (for refund) because of screen issues. I ordered the 7" Fire HD. I think it is great for reading. I use screen dim and the sepia setting. I don't have any eye strain issues using it. I can even read outside in the sun. My only complaint is the weight and the battery life...I do have to charge it every night. I hope to get a mini for Christmas. If I don't, I will enjoy using my Fire and save my pennies for the next gen mini.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Pretty much the same for me as @Poodlemom1--returned all three PWs and got the Fire HD. The Fire HD is great for reading, but not much else. I've had an iPad 3 for quite some time and it is terrific for reading too, as well as all the other tablet stuff! I can't speak for the mini as I haven't been able to see one, but I'm leery of low pixel density. My iPad 1 was terrible for reading because it had even lower pixel density than the mini. You will just have to look at one to see if it woks with your eyesight. But I will say that the Kindle for iPad app is tops. It even has some things the Fire HD reading app lacks like screen brightness control and two column landscape view.

EDIT: And it is a lot easier to load alternative reading apps on an iPad than on a Kindle Fire as iTunes sells them!

Last edited by jswinden; 12-06-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I have the Mini and love it, but I have not really test driven it for marathon reading. I've had it almost a month and it is a great little tablet, the lighter profile being a major asset IMHO in terms of travel and for using it in bed before going to sleep. It is much lighter and easier to hold. The screen is fine for my uses.

I am one of the lucky ones who received a good PW from the get-go. I enjoy it tremendously and use it mainly in the evenings. My K3 workhorse is still going strong and it goes to work with me in hopes I can sneak in a little reading during lunch.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Hi

I have the mini and I use it for night readind with epubs and the night theme. It's a feature that put the text in white and the back in black (It comes from Android to be honest). If you set the light parameter a little down too, it's very confortable to read and I don't feel any eyes strain, even after a long read. It takes a short period to get acustomate to, but it's very nice.

It works only with epub, not pdf, so I keep the pdf for day reading or shorter reading periods, but, with a low light set in parameter (quite low, it's closer to e-ink this way), the strain is not so strong. you just have to put it back up when you want to use the mini as a tablet again
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
..... I've had an iPad 3 for quite some time and it is terrific for reading too, as well as all the other tablet stuff! I can't speak for the mini as I haven't been able to see one, but I'm leery of low pixel density.....
You may find this of interest:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/i...-2012-review/2
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote