Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
#Raven#
#Raven# began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Potential Owner Question

I'm considering an e-book reader for my birthday and had a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answer to:

1. I know the 700 has slots for both SD and Memory Stick - Can it use both simultaneously?

2. Any experiences with what sizes work? Sony shows/recommends the 8 and 16 gb memory sticks and the specs on some sites mention SD cards up to 32 gb, but in the early reviews and release info it talks about capacity changes from the 2 gb limit of the 505 to 8 gb on the 700? (Early firmware limit?

3. Anyone have experience using multiple cards for different libraries? Say one for personal and one for technical?

The memory card and DRM issues turned me off on the Kindle, but I can't find much reference (practical) to answer these questions.

Thanks!
#Raven# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
1. Yes
2. Initial firmware for 505 did not support SDHC (4GB+). The updated firmware does, as well as 700's firmware. However, Reader generally does not behave well with big numbers of books on a card.
3. Some people used several cards to group their libraries by genres or otherwise.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Raven# View Post
The memory card and DRM issues turned me off on the Kindle, but I can't find much reference (practical) to answer these questions.
Be aware that the DRM issues are identical for the Sony as for the Kindle. Books sold by Amazon with DRM are sold by the Sony store with DRM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Be aware that the DRM issues are identical for the Sony as for the Kindle. Books sold by Amazon with DRM are sold by the Sony store with DRM.
With the addition that you can buy Adobe DRM'd books (epub or PDF) from independent retailers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
#Raven#

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
1. Yes
2. Initial firmware for 505 did not support SDHC (4GB+). The updated firmware does, as well as 700's firmware. However, Reader generally does not behave well with big numbers of books on a card.
3. Some people used several cards to group their libraries by genres or otherwise.
Thank you for the excellent response. Do you know, additionally, the reasonable and practical limit on storage size? I don't have an issue carrying a case with several cards in it for the occasional use. Is it a case of size or the time/effort to read and maintain the content tree (i.e. 16 gb with 100 files = fast/efficient vs 2 gb with 1000 small files = slow - I think I already know the answer, but I'm looking for experiences)?
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
#Raven#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
My reference to DRM issues was less based on the existence and more the current positioning moves by Amazon, which I view less of a defense of DRM in general and more of an attempt to limit competition. Amazon is not the first or last to try and limit access to attempt to maintain market control.