Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
gadgetdude
gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
How common are bright specs? <--- fixed for JSWolf

So I've had my Glo for about a three weeks and love it - back to reading as much as I used to before selling my Nook. The other night I noticed a stuck pixel for the first time and was wondering how common they are, if it will ever go away on it's own (had one appear and go away a few weeks later on a tablet) or is one a sign that more might show up?

It is really small and at the very bottom on the lower right about an 1/8 of an inch from the bottom so it is on the lower banner (actually just below the wrench icon). Because of that it is a non issue from a reading perspective and because it is stuck "off" it can only be seen when the light is on and even then only in lower light situations.

I still have as few days to return it for a replacement if I want but I'm really wondering if I should bother.

How common is it to have one or two stuck pixels?

Thanks

Last edited by gadgetdude; 06-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.
gadgetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetdude View Post
So I've had my Glo for about a three weeks and love it - back to reading as much as I used to before selling my Nook. The other night I noticed a stuck pixel for the first time and was wondering how common they are, if it will ever go away on it's own (had one appear and go away a few weeks later on a tablet) or is one a sign that more might show up?

It is really small and at the very bottom on the lower right about an 1/8 of an inch from the bottom so it is on the lower banner (actually just below the wrench icon). Because of that it is a non issue from a reading perspective and because it is stuck "off" it can only be seen when the light is on and even then only in lower light situations.
Is this a black spot or a bright spot? Stuck pixels are an LCD phenomenon, not an e-ink one.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

From most of the descriptions I've seen, stuck pixels seem to be due to damage in the light guide rather than being a stuck pixel. Because of this, I doubt that it will go away.

Just to balance out the reports of problems, I will note that my Aura's screen is free of defects. I don't treat it particularly well, but I don't treat it roughly either.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My Glo has zero screen issues like that, whatever you would term a bad pixel in this instance. And I know for myself, no matter where it was placed, it would drive me crazy, I'd get a new one while I could.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
If you can see the dot when the light is OFF, it's a stuck pixel. If you can see the dot only when the light is ON (a bright dot), it's a light layer defect, which is far more common. I had to return two before getting an error-free reader (one had even a slightly tilted screen), but I'm also extremely unlucky when it comes to anything with a screen.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If you're unhappy and they're willing to replace it, go for it. OTOH, people have reported having to make multiple exchanges to get one they find acceptable in some cases, so be prepared for it, if need be.

Personally, a screen defect would drive me nuts, and as a consumer paying as much as anyone else, why should I have to endure so a company can try to increase it's production yield? They should either fix damaged units or offer them at a discount to those who won't be bothered. Better yet, improve the construction process.

Back in the day LCD manufacturers tried to pass off displays with varying numbers of stuck pixels or even cluster sizes to increase yields rather than fix manufacturing processes. That always struck me as an upside down way of reacting to a problem with far more concern for profit than quality.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

My brand new Glo, bought yesterday, had four white specks when the light was on. I have taken it back today and they have exchanged it for a new one. There was some debate between the assistants as to whether to mark the returned one as faulty or not! Seemed like they were thinking of re-selling it!!
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you bought it in Canada, they cannot sell a returned item as new again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Back in the day LCD manufacturers tried to pass off displays with varying numbers of stuck pixels or even cluster sizes to increase yields rather than fix manufacturing processes. That always struck me as an upside down way of reacting to a problem with far more concern for profit than quality.
Consumers had a choice: they could buy higher cost LCDs where the vendor had a lower tolerance for stuck pixels, or you could buy a lower cost device where the vendor had a higher tolerance for stuck pixels. Since most consumers look at the price tags and ignore the details, the tendency was to go with the lower cost device and complain about the stuck pixels that their purchasing dollar originally said that they'd accept.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If you bought it in Canada, they cannot sell a returned item as new again.
I'm in the UK. They did enter in on their system as faulty, but whether that can be changed at a later date, I'm not sure.
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
BWinmill,

I might agree had those manufacturers explicitly pointed out those policies prior to sale, for instance on the box. I recall a number of people being shocked at finding multiple bad pixels or clusters and being told the manufacturer of that device would not exchange the device because the bad pixel count or cluster size was not large enough. Had it been me paying the prices they were paying for name brand, even high end, laptops I would have freaked.

People are always going to want lower prices, but manufacturers who choose to scrimp on the most obvious part of a very visual device are bozos looking to shoot their own bottom line in the foot.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
gadgetdude
gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
If you're unhappy and they're willing to replace it, go for it. OTOH, people have reported having to make multiple exchanges to get one they find acceptable in some cases, so be prepared for it, if need be.

Personally, a screen defect would drive me nuts, and as a consumer paying as much as anyone else, why should I have to endure so a company can try to increase it's production yield? They should either fix damaged units or offer them at a discount to those who won't be bothered. Better yet, improve the construction process.

First off I stand corrected and better understand what the problem is - not a stuck pixel but a "bright spec" that seems consistent with what everyone is saying is a defect in the light layer.

After I noticed the first one a while later I found another one that is right in the reading area and is very distracting now that my brain knows it's there. Luckily I had ordered from Powell books and their customer service is excellent. Another Glo is on the way and should be here any day. I really love my Glo but as you point out, there is no reason to just accept one with any screen defects.

Crossing my fingers that the new one is better!

Thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
gadgetdude

And.... strike two! Just got the replacement today, opened it up and even as it booted I found it was worse! two hot specs in the reading area. The good news is that Powell Books is excellent - I will absolutely do more business with them and refer friends. Super polite, understand the problem and are going to try an pull a device from another location.

So back to my original question - is this a really common problem or a bad batch? Is it really that hard to get a glo with a good screen?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetdude View Post
So back to my original question - is this a really common problem or a bad batch? Is it really that hard to get a glo with a good screen?
Hot spot problems seem to be a recent phenomenon so I'd say that something has changed in production or they had a bad run. I would have said it wasn't difficult to get a good screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic is 100% incorrect. This has nothing to do with stuck pixels. it has to do with bright spots on the light. So please don't call bright spots stuck pixels as they aren't. It just confuses the issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote