Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
mathias
mathias began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300; BeBook Neo; iRiver Cover Story; Sony T1
T1 The Good - the Bad - the Ugly

I just got my new T1 as well as the cover with included light (PRSA-CL10B).

Here's my thoughts:

The good:
  • very nice GUI overall
  • Create collections directly on the T1
  • Buy books over wifi
  • Reactive touch screen
  • Good readability
  • It's running Android :-)
  • Google and Wikipedia search from within a book
  • Very nice cover
  • Different fonts built in
  • You can loan books
  • Good choice of font sizes

The bad:
  • The time for sleep mode cannot be changed
  • Only one book in the "continue reading" list
  • Page buttons on the wrong side. (This is actually very annoying!)
  • You cannot loan books in most countries

The ugly:
  • There's no place to store the pen. Not even on the cover.

Overall I'm very happy with my T1. I'm especially glad I spent the extra 50$ (or so) for the cover. I know that other people have issues with crashes but so far my reader has not crashed while:
  • reading some books
  • making some notes and annotations
  • buying some books via wifi in the Sony store (from Norway with our company address in the US, but what you gonna do :-) )
  • syncing with Calibre

Last edited by mathias; 11-03-2011 at 09:12 AM.
mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Page buttons on the wrong side. (This is actually very annoying!)
Well, being left handed

On the bad i'll add:
No hyphenation
no folder view

on the good :
possibility to change contrast
the "info" on the books that tell the format, location, if the book have drm and all.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-03-2011 at 09:41 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathias View Post
The bad:[*]Page buttons on the wrong side. (This is actually very annoying!)
What side is the right side?
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
What side is the right side?
This is an easy one: both, and on the sides, not the bottom
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
I realise that this is going to be a form of "Big / Little-Endian" debate, but where the buttons are is in just the right place for me.

I agree that the No Place For A Stylus is a pain!
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
My mom wants an ereader so I'm thinking of telling my Dad to get her the T1. I know she will want library books etc and there is such easy access to everything she would like on the T1 so potentially, she would have less to learn on the computer. She works on the computer at home but mostly surfing the net and playing little games, checking e-mail etc. She has an ipod and never loads it, Dad does that for her so an ereader that will let her get books from different places without her computer would be the best option. My only worry is some fo the crashes people have been having. I don't want her to get frustrated. Hopefully, this will be solved as I think this has so much potential.

As for page buttons, on my 650, I don't think I have ever used the page buttons so for me it would not apply. I find that when I have tried the page buttons, it loses some of the feeling that I'm reading a book and makes it feel more like an electronic device again so harder to get lost in the story. I tend not to notice the flashes when I swipe either. Perhaps silly, but just how the experience is for me. I would love to try the T1, looks like it has everything I would want, just hard to justify when I just spent my money a year ago on the 650 and still enjoy it with no issues.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathias View Post
[*]Only one book in the "continue reading" list
Kolenka has a nice hack to turn "recently added" to "recently added or read" giving you more books to continue from, if you're comfortable with this sort of thing...
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Very good hack at that and fairly easy to do.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
deleted
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
mathias
mathias began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300; BeBook Neo; iRiver Cover Story; Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
This is an easy one: both, and on the sides, not the bottom
I agree: The iriver Cover Story solved this nicely. Page buttons on the side combined with automatic rotating when you shift hands.
mathias is offline   Reply With Quote