Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Replacement for Aldiko?

I used to love Aldiko, but lately I've noticed that it isn't always displaying formatting correctly. I was reading Stephanie Rowe's Order of the Blade books, a series that uses italicizing a lot for dialogue, due to several of the characters having telepathic abilities. The "thought-dialogue" is italicized to distinguish between telepathic conversations and spoken ones, and that formatting shows clearly on my PRS-950. It doesn't show in the Aldiko app on my phone or on my DroidPad. This leads to severe confusion, and some dialogue actually becomes incomprehensible or at least extremely confusing. I checked a few other books, and noticed the same thing.

So I thought I'd ask the nice community here about what other android reading apps out there are worth having. It seemed a better use of time than trying out all the free ones on my own...

I need one that can do ePub, use metadata to organize the book library, and that can store books on the microSD card in the phone. Also needs to be able to switch font and adjust font size, since some ePub files are just horrible that way, adjust brightness, do bookmarks and notes. Dictionary would be awesome but not a requirement. PDF-ability would also be great, but not a requirement.

ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I use Mantano and Moon Reader on my Samsung Galaxy 5 Player.
You can create "series" to organize and do the other things you mention with Mantano.
Moon creates its' own series lists using "tags"? based on the names of the books...I use Calibre to organize my books by series by adding series numbers, etc. and Moon seems to use them to organize them...works well.

I've always preferred Mantano but a bit ago it started getting wonky...after the last "update"...they seem to have fixed it but during the time of waiting I installed Moon and have enjoyed it probably as much as Mantano.

I've used the free version of both but prefer the paid version.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Try AlReader. It even lets you select a custom color for italics.
Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I had to fine a new reader this weekend, since the last update to Aldiko is not working. I redid my entire library and had to reload all of my books. Out of the three readers I have I was only able to get it to load all of my books on my SGP-5. It kept shutting down for my Nexus & Note 2.

So now I have uploaded the Moonreader free app which doesn't do pdfs. It is a sharp learning curve for this app, I don't know whether or not I like it yet.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Probably most similar to Aldiko would be another RMSDK based app like BlueFire, Universal Book Reader, PocketBook or Mantano, although I understand the latest Mantano has made quite a few changes to incorporate ePub 3 support. It's been a while since I tried any of them though so I'm not sure how the current versions stack up.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moonreader is slowly growing on me. I like that it will automatically add new books and that a clock is at the bottom so that I can keep track of time while I'm reading. But now I have to figure out how to get the page to advance with a swipe or tap.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will start with Mantano, since that one has been mentioned by more than one poster. Thank you everyone for your replies! I appreciate your help.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I'm just checking back in to thank those who mentioned Mantano. I downloaded and installed Moonreader as well, but Mantano fills my reading needs and I have decided to stay with it. I'm hoping I will get used to their style of book shelf, but the interface once I'm actually reading a book is spectacular --and the italics work!--and that is far more important to me.

So thank you everyone for your help.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest a combination of whatever your favourite reader is, plus Calibre Companion as a library management tool. It's way, way better than any system of tags or folder, particularly for a large library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I'll keep that in mind. For now, my primary ePub reader is my PRS-950, so the entire library is on there and only a few on the phone and Droidpad. But after seeing your post, I actually installed Calibre Comapnion on the Droidpad, just to have a constant reminder for the day when I do need it.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Has anyone else had this problem with Aldiko? On my Asus Memo pad 7" it keep uninstalling itself! I think it is when I turn the tablet's power off, but am not completely sure as I sometimes don't notice it straight away. When I reinstall the app all my books are there, as is the data about where I am in the book. On my older Asus 10" tablet it works just fine.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard

The app stays, but I can't import my books! I've moved on from Aldiko now to Moonreader.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Try AlReader. It even lets you select a custom color for italics.
Regards-John
I second Aireader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I second Aireader.
I tried it but didn't like it. I far prefer Moon+.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
My go-to is Moon+. I just like the controls & the settings for backgrounds, highlighting, etc.

After that I'll sometimes turn to CoolReader, but I find page turns to be wonky.

I've also got AlReader on my tablet but rarely use it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote