Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Thanks buddy! I'll give those a try!

I've made some progress, here's where I'm at:

[K] = Kindle PW, [Pi] = Raspberry Pi, [o2] = MacBook Air

[K] Has a copy of ssh that supports the -X option for tunneling X Sessions. After reading through some other threads here I've learned that a second instance of Xorg will display overtop of the existing framework. So, I've launched it like so: [K] Xorg :1 &
Then I set the display variable: [K] DISPLAY=:1
I then SSH'd into [Pi] from [K]: ./ssh -X pi@rpi

It connects fine, now I try to run an X app: [Pi] midori
It runs, no errors, but nothing is displayed on [K]...

At this point I kill -9 Xorg on [K] and try running midori again on [Pi]. This time I get an error:
Code:
connect /tmp/.X11-unix/X1: No such file or directory
Midori - Cannot open display:
So, I know it is trying to tunnel to the second copy of Xorg running, but why isn't anything being displayed?

Edit: Wait a second, it is displaying something! I can see it behind the top menu bar, bits and pieces of it! Hrmmm... Now, how to get it to display on top of everything else?
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
right....

Looks like you are fighting for control of the framebuffer.

try... killall -stop awesome

erm...

let me just try that first... gimme sec

edit:

Okay seems safe enough... no auto-reboot..

and killall -cont awesome when you are done
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if that fails... (it might if you are using Xephyr or some other way of targetting the onboard X that NEEDS awesome running. I dont know...)

then try using an OVERLAY solution like Xepyhr...

Let me dig up a thread..
Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
twobob

right...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=68

Xephyr :1 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:xephyr_PC:N" -screen 600x800 -cc 4 -dpi 155 &

(insert correct FB size that is for a touch)

and Landscape..

Xephyr :1 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:xephyr_O:R_PC:N" -screen 800x600 -cc 4 -dpi 155 &

BUT!!!

They did allegedly change the _O:R_PC:N bits that you can find in the awesome configs somewheres... have to fiddle to find out... err. You not me I dont have a PW right now.

baf has posted the most about that stuff

Last edited by twobob; 03-01-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
timb.us
Enthusiast

Thanks, let me work on that. Though, the copy of Xephyr you sent me seems to be segfaulting.

Code:
[root@kindle bin]# ./Xephyr :1
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/kindle:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

Backtrace:
Segmentation fault at address 0x7adf2c

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Aborted

Last edited by timb.us; 03-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
timb.us
Enthusiast

By the by, all stopping awesome did was freeze the screen until I resumed it. Xorg on :1 wouldn't overlay, so looks like I'm going to have to get Xephyr running.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
twobob

ah right. I thought it might.

its like ZERO effort to get Xephyr going

just need to right files.

if you dont already have them I can give them.

simple as that.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb.us View Post
Thanks, let me work on that. Though, the copy of Xephyr you sent me seems to be segfaulting.

Code:
[root@kindle bin]# ./Xephyr :1
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/kindle:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

Backtrace:
Segmentation fault at address 0x7adf2c

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Aborted
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 111111one one one etc..

I must have bundle the highly experimental one I was building.

Sorry...

(still I wasn't actually checking that at the time)

gimme sec

EDIT AND I HAVE ATTACHED THE MISSING LIB NOW DOH!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Xephyr-5.zip (910.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: zip libXfont.so.1-DAMMIT.zip (114.4 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by twobob; 03-26-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
twobob

replace bin.

rename it to Xephyr if you want.

I have a few versions lying around. the name is irrelevent
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
timb.us
Enthusiast

Thanks man! It seems to run, but it's complaining about fonts now. I tried pointing it to the usr/share/fonts/X11/ directory that was part of that bundle you sent me awhile back, but no dice. There has to be a default fixed font built into the system, right?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
twobob

ah yeah..

err.. its on the debian on paperwhite threads how I "fixed" that
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #28
twobob

or was it the Native Xorg thread? meh... threads.. gah!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
timb.us
Enthusiast

Haha, let me search through the PW thread. I remember reading that. Just wanted to know if it was something obvious I missed.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
twobob

no... IIRC it was something really stupid.

like the default font is missing for the kindles.

its an easy fix one you find it. sorry I'm doing like 4 things at once here and should have been in bed hours ago !!