Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #121
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I have followed this discussion, and there is one area I think that is not mentioned or not discussed much.

I hear the term backup. and it seems to be referencing a "DRM free" file.

How about a backup of the DRM file itself. Is that technically legal? There would be no need to remove the DRM on the backup unless your reader died and you had no official converter. That is a lot simpler and saves some time and effort.

I mean how many times do you read a fiction book? I usually read 95% just once, but still if I like it, I will save it until I get too many and then I cull, but even if I keep it, I don't usually reread it, so the saving is for that "just in case scenario." Then I could see the usefulness of having a separate converter for that DRM file.

Last edited by SeaKing; 01-21-2012 at 03:50 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #122
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have followed this discussion, and there is one area I think that is not mentioned or not discussed much.

How about a backup of the DRM file itself. Is that technically legal? There would be no need to remove the DRM on the backup unless your reader died and you had no official converter. That is a lot simpler and saves some time and effort.

I mean how many times do you read a fiction book? I usually read 95% just once, but still if I like it, I will save it until I get too many and then I cull, but even if I keep it, I don't usually reread it, so the saving is for that "just in case scenario." Then I could see the usefulness of having a separate converter for that DRM file.
Sure you could back up the file with its DRM.

I suspect, however, that most of us here probably store our eBook libraries in Calibre in which (using the separate tools which are NOT a part of Calibre) DRM removal is totally automated and transparent - the DRM gets removed as you add the book to Calibre. It's therefore a non-issue - we simply back up our Calibre library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #123
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

I never know which books I will re-read. So even if I just re-read 5% of my books I have to save most of them. You also save books to be able to lend them to friends.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #124
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure you could back up the file with its DRM.

I suspect, however, that most of us here probably store our eBook libraries in Calibre in which (using the separate tools which are NOT a part of Calibre) DRM removal is totally automated and transparent - the DRM gets removed as you add the book to Calibre. It's therefore a non-issue - we simply back up our Calibre library.
Well that just shows how little I know. I hadn't even realized that Calibre had a "storage" capability. I have used it to convert a few files, one about a week ago, which I just put on my desktop temporarily.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely. Calibre is first and foremost a library management tool; storing your books is its primary function.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert