Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Replacement battery experience?

My 300 doesn't want to hold a charge like it used, so it looks like I'm in the market for a new battery.

Has anyone bought batteries from NewPower99 in the past? They seem to have the best reviews, and offer a higher capacity than the original, according to them. The price is a bit higher, but it's warrantied for a year. Even comes with a tiny pry bar for loosening the case, so I won't have to steal a guitar pick to disassemble.

Interested in recommendations, if anyone has them - Thank you.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
You can probably find a brand new/used 300 on ebay for nearly the same price of the replacement battery. When my 350 wasn't holding a charge anymore I also was considering replacing the battery. Luckily, before I ordered the kit I attempted to actually remove the dead battery first. My battery refused to budge no matter how much force I applied to it. I then opted to purchase my PRS T-1 for $50 instead of attempting to go through the hassle of replacing my 350's battery.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still going to want to replace the battery at some point, and a new-to-me reader will have an older battery.

On the video showing how to do the replacement, it looks like the battery is not glued down, so I'm willing to give it a try. If it is glued, I'll try working it free with some dental floss.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
roodap
roodap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
prs-505 has its manual showing how to replace battery
roodap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Geyer
Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.Geyer is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Clie, Sony Reader 300, iPod Touch, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 2013
I bought one of the NewPower99 replacement batteries for my 300 about a year ago, because I was needing to charge the reader every other day. I asked a friend with more nimble fingers to install it for me.

No, the battery wasn't glued down. Be careful with the tiny plastic pieces on the seal at the top of the case, by the power switch. You can see them in the video if you look closely. My friend accidentally broke one. It didn't make an operational difference, although the seal doesn't fit quite as snugly on the top as it does on the side and bottom now. The reader works just fine, and a charge seems to last just as long as the original did when new. I bought it through Amazon; the seller was Innovate88. I hope this helps.
Geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Thanks Geyer - Will take your advice on the plastic seal definitely. I'm replacing both my 300 and 350 batteries, so I appreciate hearing from someone who's used them.

Glad to hear it's holding a good charge after a year - hoping I have your same good luck.

Tags
battery replace, prs 300