Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
ksfga
ksfga began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Fonts

Hello,
I'm thinking about PRS-700, but I'm from the Czech republic.. I'd like to ask, if is it possible to read books in Czech language, which has special characters like these ěščřžýáíé. Can ereader show them.

Can one chenge the fonts used?

Thanks in advance
ksfga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfga View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking about PRS-700, but I'm from the Czech republic.. I'd like to ask, if is it possible to read books in Czech language, which has special characters like these ěščřžýáíé. Can ereader show them.

Can one chenge the fonts used?

Thanks in advance
It's not officially supported, but you can change the default font on the PRS-505, and I believe the PRS-700. What you can definitely do is embed fonts in EPUB books, guaranteeing that glyphs for all the characters in the book are available.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Yes you can change the fonts, we just do not know how at the moment ;-).
Do not worry. Our resident hackers have alredy something done, they just do not want to release it, because at the moment there is no way to unbrick the device if something goes wrong.

Now seriously.
You can still read Czech (or ANY language of your choice) books on the device.
Even without updating fonts.
Just create a pdf file with page size 90mm x 115mm
and do not forget to embed fonts into the document.
You can download Sony Library software and see what will your document look like on a Reader.

You can create pdf files using OpenOffice.org
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just create a pdf file with page size 90mm x 115mm
Oh, right, yah -- font embedding for EPUB or PDF too. Although if you go the PDF route the actual size you want is 88.184 x 113.854mm.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
ksfga
ksfga began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Thank you very much!!!
ksfga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
czech, fonts, question