Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #91
greenwavelet
greenwavelet doesn't littergreenwavelet doesn't litter

Device: Acer Iconia A1 830, Kindle Kybd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you give an example, please? LCD Android devices with a 4:3 aspect ratio are rather unusual - almost all have 16:10 aspect ratio screens.
Of course. Here are some examples:
Acer Iconia A1-830
Archos 80 Titanium
Archos 80 platinum
HP Tablet 8 1401
NextBook NX008HD8G

None of those are first-tier devices (the HP is actually a rebadged version of a last-year Chinese-only device -- HP had nothing to do with its design), but Acer & Archos are still respected names.

The surprising one is the last one. amazingly, it gets 4 stars on Amazon.com and decent reviews on other sites.
greenwavelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #92
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
banggood has a lot of such tablets, for example : http://www.banggood.com/PIPO-S6-RK31...-p-914324.html
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #93
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Has anyone heard anything new on this, especially what the latest eta is?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #94
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Which app did you install? It's possible to do without rooting (but requires some Android knowledge and information from the Onyx dev team. I contacted them when I needed a way to do it and they kindly provided me with a solution)
Could you share the solution please. Thanks.

Quote:
The reason they have a phone app is that it does not do anything wrong. It does not consume any CPU or significant memory. IMHO people who removed it and experienced a boost in their battery life confuse correlation with causality.
With the current Onyx software, the battery life even on my M96 sometimes takes a dive with no apparent reason. At times like these when a change brings about battery savings, although its a placebo effect, for the user, its a revelation. Even I have been guilty of such ill-informed beliefs from time to time.

Quote:
I can share a small app that I written that turns on and off the status bar - that's the simplest way. For people who want something more advanced, I can try to guide how to do it, or even write an alternative app, if it's simple enough.
Could you share that app please. Thanks.

Quote:
Hmmmm.... I tried to use the xposed framework plugin to remove the status bar and it didn't work (that was before I talked to onyx dev ), but I didn't think of full!screen back then (though I did use it in the past on my phone). Does it actually work? Does it also restore the status bar correctly as well?
Yes the 'full!screen' app works flawlessly. It even provides two touch areas at bottom left & right (in portrait mode), the actions of which you can customize. Working good, still, would be nice to use another approach - yours & Onyx's.

Jp
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:20 AM   #95
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Here you go: http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/17452187/file.html
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #96
greenwavelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Has anyone heard anything new on this, especially what the latest eta is?
<crickets>
Well, it's now the end of October, two months since Pintu was told that trial batches will be done in Aug. and mass production in Sept., and still nothing.
The Fall back-to-school season (main season for e-readers) is past. It's essentially too late for the Chrsitmas season as well, since there has to be a minimum of advertising and product announcements beforehand.

Most siginificantly, there's nothing official from Onyx, and in the past they've had no issues discussing products in advance.
In fact, the only public mention is still the Facebook posting from March.

I decided not to wait any longer for Onyx or any of the other 8" e-ink e-readers.
3 weeks ago I bought an 8-inch Acer Android tablet I'm very happy with; the screen is slightly less comfortable to read than e-ink/OED, but I still have no issues reading 6-7 hours at a stretch. Battery life is 12-15 hours of reading (radios & GPS off), also less than e-ink readers but certainly good enough.
Price was US$130, which is about half of the anticipated price of the i86.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #97
luby
luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boeye T62
I gave up waiting for it and bought Boeye T62 instead

Since T68 had a number of issues with available memory after few Android apps were loaded and with apps crashing, I decided to get a decent 9.7" Android tablet and T62 reader for the same amount of money I'd have to pay for I86 alone. It should not be that hard to bolt an e-ink screen onto the Android tablet and optimise GUI for the basic reading application if you base it on a decent hardware like Boeye did with their T61 and T62 devices.
luby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 AM   #98
greenwavelet

luby, not that a Boyue T62 + 9.7" combo would help me -- I all wanted was a larger screen for reading fiction over the 6" Kindle I already have, so the T62 wouldn't give me anything more -- but how does that work out price-wise? AFAIK, a T62 is ~us$118, which gives you ~us$130 left over from the anticipated us$250 price of a backlit I86... Which decent (which for me means a known brand) 10" tablet is that cheap?

Anyway, as I've said above, this isn't rocket science, so the only justification I can see for the lack of products in the category is that vendors believe there is very little market interest (basically people this thread...)
The one player who would have certainly come out with a product if they thought there was a market is Amazon. They are certainly trying to shake up e-readers in general by the Voyager, and it's siginficant it's still a 6" size and that there's no larger device from them -- not even in the 10" segment, where they're still selling the 4-year-old DX (really 6-year-old design with very little change).
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #99
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A french customer has received a pocketbook inkpad : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=239779&page=6
Old 10-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #100
junjun
junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.junjun knows the square root of minus one.

Device: surface pro
A seller fom taobao said it would be on sale on the end of this month and a version with back light would be on sale around December
junjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #101
smayonak
Enthusiast
smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox i86+
Have we heard anything new regarding the Onyx Boox i86? It's now the end of October and yet there's been no updates on it. I even have an alert set up in Google -- whenever a new story on the i86 gets published, it alerts me. Unfortunately, nothing new has shown up.
smayonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #102
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

Onyx Boox i86 at Hong Kong Exhibition (Oct, 22, 2014)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248409
Old 01-09-2015, 03:53 AM   #103
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Finally some news about this model!

http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...&page=1&extra=

Something about a Beta period? if someone could give us a better translation than Google Translate I will be so thankful!
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 AM   #104
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Also very interesting this video which show a i86 playing a video quit smooth (for an e-ink display): http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...22998-1-1.html

I seemed to understand that Onyx i86 could be ready for February. Would like to have confirmation for all of this!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #105
diegoocampo
Connoisseur

Lots of information, pictures and reviews are being uploaded to the Onyx forums these days. This is because a beta version of the product was given to some beta testers.

Check:
http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...23003-1-1.html
http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...&fid=67&page=1