Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would look forward to this. I was just saying tonight that I don't think I'll be bothered getting the new Kindle Touch because I just don't feel like I need to upgrade my Kindle 3. But something with this integrated light screen doo-hickey may well change my mind.

Of course, I'm not expecting a new Kindle out so soon, but I can wait. Still loving my Kindle 3.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #32
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Looks like B&N is bringing out a front-lit Nook too.

This may be the new feature that finally gets me to buy an eInk device.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
JonathanH
Enthusiast
JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.JonathanH actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Looks like B&N is bringing out a front-lit Nook too.

This may be the new feature that finally gets me to buy an eInk device.
The Barnes&Noble in-store signs for the new front-lit Nook have now appeared, so B&N will beat Amazon to the punch on this one.
JonathanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I can't help but imagine reading on a Timex Indiglo watch when I see the demos. But I do prefer reading in a well lit area not the dark...with any kind of lighting.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #35
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
I can't help but imagine reading on a Timex Indiglo watch when I see the demos. But I do prefer reading in a well lit area not the dark...with any kind of lighting.
The benefits of a good book light are not limited to reading in a pitch black room.

I tried reading in bed with my Kindle + lighted cover, and the glow from the LED light ended up waking my husband, so I no longer bother trying to read in the dark. On the other hand, I find that the lighting in my house isn't strong/bright enough to read at night. A little extra light seems to make the "pages" slightly whiter, thus making the text easier to read.

Likewise, if I've been reading outside in the bright sunlight and then come inside, I will often use the light until my eyes have had a chance to adjust. The angle of the light on the Kindle 3 cover is sometimes problematic; it would be nice to find a solution that will allow me to read is less than ideal lighting situations WITHOUT accidentally blinding the people sitting to my left!
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #36
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My opinion of the little pull-out light in the lighted cover accessory is that it is a goofy-looking kludge that detracts from the modern and sleek Kindle.

For an eInk device, we need a proper lighting solution that uses complementary technology. Built-in front-lighting should be that solution, if they get it right.

Last edited by toronado; 04-12-2012 at 01:15 AM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #37
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
If the light actually lights the whole screen evenly, I might be interested in something like that. I don't ever "read in the dark", and I don't use booklights (haven't seen any that look to light the whole screen evenly) but there are plenty of cases where I'd rather have a little bit of focused extra light in addition to sunlight in a shady room or a bit of extra light in a room lit by ceiling lamp when it's not quite dark yet outside. And in that case it's always tricky to decide whether to make do with slightly less light than I'd like or to turn on a strong floor lamp that is still overkill under those conditions.

I could also see it being useful in places where the ambient lighting isn't up to the user to adjust - sitting in a dimly / unevenly lit corridor waiting for a doctor's appointment, on a bus, on a plane... various environments where there is just barely enough light to get by but not necessarily comfortably.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I was just on vacation with my daughter and we were sleeping in the same room and I could REALLY have used a light on my reader. For once-in-a-while lighting needs like that, this seems like a really attractive option. All the pictures make it seem like the screen radiates a glow, which I don't like, but I will reserve judgement until I see it for myself. I am especially pleased that B&N is bringing it to market, since I can go and look at it there. Hmmmm, now how to see it in the dark? Maybe they will make a special closet in the Nook area, for dark viewing?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #39
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The nook with the glowing front light...

MUST

HAVE

NOW

All I have to say. I read all the time, plenty of it at night. The only reason I use a bulkier case is because I like having a built-in light. I'm jealous of my wife's Kindle case with the light built in.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #40
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
engadget hands on with the nook glowlight http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/n...ight-hands-on/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
finally

with this tech available, we can read in bed,cool...
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #42
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm - if B&N bring it out in this kind of time frame, it might mean that Amazon match with a Kindle4 Touch with light option and not wait until Kindle5. Hmmmm - might I get the Kindle4 afterall?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm hoping that the next Kindle will have unbreakable screen as well as the front light. But I have no actual knowledge.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #44
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=stickybuns;......... if I've been reading outside in the bright sunlight and then come inside, I will often use the light until my eyes have had a chance to adjust. The angle of the light on the Kindle 3 cover is sometimes problematic; it would be nice to find a solution that will allow me to read is less than ideal lighting situations WITHOUT accidentally blinding the people sitting to my left![/QUOTE]

Sony + cover with light - opens flap to left, light not violent....plus, nice reader.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I use my Kindle Fire to read in bed, now. Its light doesn't bother the other occupants of the bed.

I'll be interested to see what Amazon comes up with, if they do make a lighted eink reader. I won't be buying the one put out by B&N. I can do without a company that has to sell their product using lies and false comparisons. (Look at the product page if you don't believe me)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote