Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Pocktbook 912,is it going to released or not!

hi
is this device going to be released this year or not?

i know there are other topics about this , but nothing there.
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
jbaach
Connoisseur
jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jbaach can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: prs 505, pocketbook 903, onyx boox m92
There is an entry in the german forum that says that a batch of devices is on its way, and that people should have their 912s by the end of next week.
jbaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
a.a.k
Enthusiast
a.a.k began at the beginning.

Device: boox M92
ii was wondering how much is going to cost ? and whether to buy it or buy M92?
a.a.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
912 in Germany will be around 330 €, and what I read about the FW from german beta-tester "Dolansky" it seems to come close to what they promised with the release of 903 last year. Unfortunately it can't offer a Pearl display, but from all things I've seen about M-Series I'd go for a PB.

BTW, 912 is nearly identical to 903 (only difference is missing UMTS slot in 912) which is on sale in Germany for a little more than the 912: click
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
a.a.k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
912 in Germany will be around 330 €, and what I read about the FW from german beta-tester "Dolansky" it seems to come close to what they promised with the release of 903 last year. Unfortunately it can't offer a Pearl display, but from all things I've seen about M-Series I'd go for a PB.

BTW, 912 is nearly identical to 903 (only difference is missing UMTS slot in 912) which is on sale in Germany for a little more than the 912: click
thanks for your reply. i am sure PB as is company is better than Onyx Boox.
Booxtor review [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EL43...=youtu.be]here [/YOUTUBE]however for M92, seems to be positive. i wonder if a Pearl display and the faster ram will worth taking the risk with Onyx Boox?
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Insecurities

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.a.k View Post
thanks for your reply. i am sure PB as is company is better than Onyx Boox.
Booxtor review [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EL43...=youtu.be]here [/YOUTUBE]however for M92, seems to be positive. i wonder if a Pearl display and the faster ram will worth taking the risk with Onyx Boox?
What do you know about the company and what exactly does "better" mean?
I think most people buy larger screens for PDF-viewing. It seems to me important therefore how these devices handle PDFs. For many users annotation-capability is crucial. There seems to be quite a difference between PB and Onyx.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
a.a.k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
What do you know about the company and what exactly does "better" mean?
I think most people buy larger screens for PDF-viewing. It seems to me important therefore how these devices handle PDFs. For many users annotation-capability is crucial. There seems to be quite a difference between PB and Onyx.
in the Onyx form people dislike the pervious serious of M90/91 and the lack of upgrade.
on other hand, PB seems to be active with their customers and had released upgrades for all of their devices. they have branch in EU , US. which unlike Onyx, the have responsibility for.
my main aim is to read PDF , so i may wait for M92.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
PocketBook has been around a bit longer than Onyx, but they do have something in common: Both companies seem to be recovering from a quality dip that was probably caused by growing pains. It is not so long ago that there were lots of complaints on the forums about failing PB firmware, and the bad quality of the PB 302. With the M90 Onyx seems to go through a similar phase.

PocketBook is a larger company than Onyx, and they have different business models. Onyx is primarily a business-to-business company; they don't want to be responsible for resellers.

They are both dedicated e-reader makers (as opposed to the "major brands"), and both do their own R&D. They are both quite serious about wanting to be on the e-reader market for a long time.

PocketBook is a Swiss company that has its root in Ukraine. Onyx is a Chinese company.

I would not say one is "better" than the other. They are different, but also have common elements.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Also Onyx has former Irex employees at its root. They learned how to from Irex. Both PocketBook and Onyx have been around about the same length of time. I started selling the PB301 just a short few months before I started selling the PB 360 and the Onyx Boox 60. Both of those devices I still believe are stellar and simply the best of their time.

Both companies take a similar approach to PDF reading with both offering persistent zoom when even Sony wasnt doing that yet.

Onyx had annotation long before PB including being able to zoom in, write on the page and then zoom back out. Onyx has selection zoom too(as did Irex) which should be a requirement for every pdf reader. I cant remember if the 6/9 -03s of PB have yet.

Pocketbook however has column reading which is really hard to do without once you've used it. PB was also the first to incorporate pics/diagrams in the reflow of a pdf and "Active Contents" so that when you bookmark, highlight etc those things show in the Table of Contents.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-10-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
And now you are caught between a rock and a hard place

Order both and find out which one is best for you, return the other. Don't ask ( you'll start another religios war ) jusst try and find out. Nobody else can REALLY help you, because everybody has it's preferences.
PB 602 is perfect for me, my wife loves her SONY PRS-350 and we both hate each other one's

Best luck and Merry X-Mas
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
a.a.k
Enthusiast

buying both is not an option.. as i need to pay 600 pound for both ! and be bothered with the postage again. i am in the UK, and i think i need to buy one of these from any online store based in Germany.
i guess i have to take the risk
Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.a.k View Post
buying both is not an option.. as i need to pay 600 pound for both ! and be bothered with the postage again. i am in the UK, and i think i need to buy one of these from any online store based in Germany.
i guess i have to take the risk
not the Onyx, but the new pocketbooks (including the 611 basic, the 612 and the 912) are available in the UK from the greenreader - I've bought 3 devices from them, and never had any problems (including no questions asked return for a unit not functioning properly), and £5 for shipping. I could not find a UK based reseller for the Onyx, though.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
PDFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Pocketbook however has column reading which is really hard to do without once you've used it. PB was also the first to incorporate pics/diagrams in the reflow of a pdf and "Active Contents" so that when you bookmark, highlight etc those things show in the Table of Contents.
You can't even use the pen for annotations in PDFs, and navigating between notes und documents is simply cruel - I think as far as PDFs go we/they are only in an experimental/developmental phase - and they have been working on this(or not) for over a year now.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
You can't even use the pen for annotations in PDFs, and navigating between notes und documents is simply cruel - I think as far as PDFs go we/they are only in an experimental/developmental phase - and they have been working on this(or not) for over a year now.
actually, this is not correct: since 2.1.1 firmware you can annotate PDF files free hand, as well as highlight words and passages, and you can easily move between notes and document (just press the "book" button to get to the notes), and with the latest reelase you can also quickly jump between the last 4 open pages in each document. Quite good if you use it for work.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
paulopen
paulopen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is PB 903 still been sold?

I can´t find the PocketBook 903 on online store. Has it been discontinued?
paulopen is offline   Reply With Quote