Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
hmf
Enthusiast
hmf doesn't litterhmf doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Kindle Replacements Are Not Used...hmmm

Ok, now that I've got your attention, I just got off the line with Amazon regarding the replacement of my K3 due to fading keyboard characters. I mentioned that I assumed I would be getting a refurbished unit. The CS rep said that all replacement units are brand new units that have been pulled off the production line and tested before being sent out. That since they were pulled off the line and tested they could not be considered new and are thus referred to as refurbished. Although I indicated my scepticism he sounded sincere saying Amazon didn't want any customer to get a defective unit after a return. He said that ANY sign of previous use would be grounds for a return. While my heart wants to believe him my head is calling BS.
hmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Since some people I know Have recieved Replacements & HAVE NOT been returning the old unit! I would say CS is Correct! 1 was dropped & one sat on & 1 just died! LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does it really matter?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
hmf
Enthusiast

Does it matter? Nah...but if given a choice I'm sure anyone would prefer a new one over a "refurb."
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Would to me Depending on the AGE of the one I Purchased! Tons of people got Nooks for Christmas & they were Broken! ALL B&N replaced them with were Refurbs worth $80 [what they were selling them for at the time] I had 2 Both Broken out of box... They wanted to send me refirb No Way! I just paid $149 & they want me to except $80!! Now if I had them say about 5-6 months No Problem!

This is why I like Amazon they know how to treat customers!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmf View Post
Does it matter? Nah...but if given a choice I'm sure anyone would prefer a new one over a "refurb."
Actually there can be advantages if a device is truly refurbed and tested.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
That has been my experience w/ Apple.....don't know about Amazon...if the company is good, the refurbs are good, and can be even less risky than new.

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think (in the past at least) when Amazon was issuing the re-furbs they did it at fire sale prices and it was announced as a "re-furb" sale. that is how and when I got my second K1. it was dropped to the low low price of something like $190
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Ok, now that I've got your attention, I just got off the line with Amazon regarding the replacement of my K3 due to fading keyboard characters. I mentioned that I assumed I would be getting a refurbished unit. The CS rep said that all replacement units are brand new units that have been pulled off the production line and tested before being sent out. That since they were pulled off the line and tested they could not be considered new and are thus referred to as refurbished. Although I indicated my scepticism he sounded sincere saying Amazon didn't want any customer to get a defective unit after a return. He said that ANY sign of previous use would be grounds for a return. While my heart wants to believe him my head is calling BS.
Who cares really ? Amazon is replacing units, which is really nice of them, since in most cases they legally don't have to.

The way people (or to be more specific, the OP) now expect not only a replacement, but new units on top of it, just baffles me. I have no sympathy for those who are trying to profit from a more than fair customer service. Just be thankful ............................and quiet

Oh and by the way, you not only had my attention for a few moments, you now have my contempt (and I am not used to posting those kind of posts, but that thread just did it !!)

Last edited by aceflor; 05-21-2011 at 11:02 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Sending refurbs is common practice and companies generally say so when such is the case. Why would he go out of his way to tell you otherwise, even backing it up by saying you could send it back if you felt it was used? For the fun of lying and getting returns? Accept it and send it back if you're unhappy. Dust it for fingerprints or scan it with a UV light or something. Healthy skepticism is good, but stubborn cynicism will just leave you constantly displeased. Relax.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
For sure. If I know a product is factory refurbished, I won't hesitate to buy a refurb over a new one. I recently bought a factory refurbished mp3 player and there aren't even any cosmetic flaws. I'm more than happy to buy something that's been examined and tested, not to mention sold to me at a discount.

As far as claims of goods being refurbished that aren't straight from the factory, that's a different matter and one I wouldn't gamble on. If Joe Blow claims it's "Refurbished - Like New", he could have done anything from bad soldering to a spit shine.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
hmf
Enthusiast

Sheesh Aceflor...Calm down and take a deep breath...I only wanted to relate what the CS rep told me. I never expected a new unit especially after using it for 8 months.What the CS guy told me seemed a bit far fetched. However, since he made the offer regarding my acceptance of the replacement unit wouldn't I be foolish not to take him up on it if I am not completely satisfied?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm 99% sure that Amazon only does this to a broken kindle that broke during the return period (30 days). They don't want people returning and rebuying (too much hassle for both sides). I found this out the first time my k3 broke. So, if this happens after 30 days, you get a refurb. Otherwise, what do they do with the broken ones? You can tell definaltly if it's a refurb by seeing if the recovery ports look "unclean". That means it's been soldered and desoldered. They use the recovery port to do a clean reinstall.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Sheesh Aceflor...Calm down and take a deep breath...I only wanted to relate what the CS rep told me. I never expected a new unit especially after using it for 8 months.What the CS guy told me seemed a bit far fetched. However, since he made the offer regarding my acceptance of the replacement unit wouldn't I be foolish not to take him up on it if I am not completely satisfied?
No, you would not be foolish. You would be honest. A word you probably have not used for a long, long time.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
hmf
Enthusiast

Haha..Acebore please get off the self-righteous cloud you seem to occupy. How on earth do you get the idea that I'm trying to scam Amazon? All I'm doing is repeating what an Amazon employee told me. While I expressed doubt over this procedure he went on to state if I saw as much as a tiny scratch on the replacement feel free to return it.
Gee I guess that makes me an evil person. Ever hear the one about the pot calling the kettle black?