Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Movies you've recently seen

What movies have you recently seen (both DVD and cinema), and were they any good? Summer is almost over, and it's the time of the year again where I long for a good popcorn movie, pure enjoyment, plain and simple.

The last good movie I've seen was Knocked Up, one of the coolest (and longest - over two hours, in fact) comedy so far this year.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
The Simpsons. It was good; not fantastic or anything, just a long Simpsons episode.

Then again, my wife and I keep buying DVDs and not getting around to watching them. Pan's Labyrinth is on top of the pile right now.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
ADRIFT

We watched adrift last night about the groups of friends on a boat that go swimming and forget to lower the ladder first.

good film

and sunshine which was not a good film it was like a 2001 & event horizon rip off in one film

my girl works in blockbuster it has it's advantages
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I recently added DVDs of Buster Keaton's The General and the Russian Solaris to my collection. Both excellent films... The General is considered one of the greatest silent adventure/comedies ever, and Solaris, often referred to as the "anti-2001", is an artistic masterpiece.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I had no money when "The General" was available here. Yes, it is one of the best railroad movies ever. The stunts are in fact better than in almost any modern movie. Not to mention that it bases on real events.

I bought lately the "Forbidden Planet" DVD. Leslie Nielsen in his first role. Even today a superb SF movie.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Other than the newest HP offering, the only movies I've seen this summer (moving sucks up a lot of time) are Transformers and No Reservations (you can probably guess which one I went to with my wife, and which I saw alone ). I liked them both quite well. I also want to see Underdog, but that's more nostalgia than because I'm convinced it'll be wonderful.

When it comes to recommendations, I always bring up The Changeling. It's from '79 (IMDB says '80, but the DVD case says '79), but most Blockbuster stores still stock it (tells you something about it right there), and stars George C. Scott, and Trish Van Devere, with a short part by John Colicos (the original Baltar). It's easily the scariest movie I've ever seen. I get goosebumps just thinking about that wheelchair (if you've seen it, you probably are too), but it lets go of you at the end, so it's not really a nightmare inducer. No gratuitous violence, no gore, very little blood, and only one or two cheap jump scenes. The tape of the sceance is pure genius.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
I also give a nod to the original Solaris; I still refuse to watch the Hollywood version with Clooney.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
I also give a nod to the original Solaris; I still refuse to watch the Hollywood version with Clooney.
I recently tried to watch the Clooney edition but I found it quite boring so I turned it off.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
People said the same about the Russian Solaris. It's by nature a slow, oppressing story.

Actually, the American Solaris was quite good, I consider it superior to most American SF. It's also different than the Russian version (which I understand Lem, the author, wasn't thrilled with). Either way, I have both versions, and I recommend both of them to anyone who thinks SF is more than Star Wars and Star Trek.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Either way, I have both versions, and I recommend both of them to anyone who thinks SF is more than Star Wars and Star Trek.
Steve, how can anything be more than Star Wars? Really! Chewbacca has been my idol ever since the first Death Star.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Probably all the movies George Lucas ripped scenes off.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
The best movie I've seen lately is The Lives of Others. Actually, I don't know why I said "lately." It's one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Hot Fuzz is the funniest movie I've seen this year. It's from the makers of Shaun of the Dead.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I watched several this summer, quite a few on video/DVD, but many in the theater. A couple of my favorites so far are... Next (cool concept and a tricky ending), Transformers (awesome special effects, though they could have developed the characters a bit more; i.e., too rushed), Bridge to Terabithia (I know, kids movie but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and so did my wife), The Number 23 (cool mystery/suspense thriller, though a little predictable), Conversations with God (hey, I liked the books so I had to check out the movie, which was pretty darn good). The Banquet (Chinese film with a lot of cool action and nice cinematography), and The Fountain (had to watch it twice to really see what was going on, really enjoyed this movie too).

I've actually seen a ton of other movies too, but these are the most memorable in my opinion (saw quite a few stinkers too... man, I wish I could have those hours back!). Good luck picking movies to watch, I'm sure you'll find someone here who shares your taste in film since I know we all have different tastes.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
The Fountain (had to watch it twice to really see what was going on, really enjoyed this movie too).
That was one crazy movie!