Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
PDF file: sometimes blank, sometimes not

I posted this in the PDF forum and it was suggested that I bring it over here. I've also added/corrected some information since I originally posted.

I have a pdf file that's an omnibus, about 750 pages, approximately 3.5 MB. I can open and read it with Acrobat Reader with no problem. I can copy the text and paste it into a Word or text file, but all the text is run together with no spacing. I can save the file as text, but again, it's all run together with no spacing.

I cannot load and read it using the Calibre viewer. The conversion to epub failed after about 20 hours.
I cannot see anything when I open it in ADE or just load the pdf directly onto my Sony 650. It's just 750 blank pages. Can anyone shed any light on this?
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan_girl View Post
I cannot load and read it using the Calibre viewer. The conversion to epub failed after about 20 hours.
It would be helpful to have the error message from the conversion output, if available. (If it's a job, click on job details and paste the text.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, the job details list cleared when I closed Calibre. It took about 20 hours to attempting the conversion then I got a failure message.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Some pdfs are just screwed up. You might not like this option, but if it's really important to you to convert it it might be easier to extract all the pages as images and convert from images to rtf/doc/html using an OCR tool like ABBYY.

You could also try optimizing it in Acrobat Pro for an older PDF format - it's possible it's using some weird features that optimization would fix. I've had some luck with friends in similar positions with unfriendly pdfs.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
vulcan_girl
Groupie

Thanks, Idolse, I figured that there's something wonky with the file, and I honestly don't even care anymore. There was really only one book in the omnibus I wanted, and I can wait to read it.
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
bluemantis
bluemantis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
Help! This just happened to me as well! Same thing, put two pdfs on my Sony prs650 through calibre. When I try to open them it just has a little exclamation mark saying "invalid page." I thought this thing was supposed to be able to read pdfs!?! That's why I got it, so I could zoom around without staring at a computer screen all day!!!
bluemantis is offline   Reply With Quote