Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
Exclamation New to Kindle

I just got a Kindle Keyboard 3 off Craigslist on Sunday and I like it so far. I managed to download 1 book off the amazon store. I was even able to get 1 picture on my Kindle. My kindle didnt come with a USB or Power cord so i ordered them off amazon. I know i cant do much without them, but i have a couple questions....

1) Is there a way (other than the hack i am reading about) to make the picture already on my Kindle my screensaver? I put it on there tonight but im confused from there.

2) Are there legit sites that have newer books I can download for free/cheap? I went to a few but they have older books (huck finn, etc) and i need newer ones. For example im looking for The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks for bookclub.

3) Is there a place that has covers and cases? I have 3 kids and i know one of em will drop it at some point. Id like to try and protect it.

and finally for your time reading this.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I cant help you with the first one but for...

2) try scribd.com

3) eBay.com , amazon.com , and etsy.com is especially awesome (all handmade)
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsKindle3 View Post
2) Are there legit sites that have newer books I can download for free/cheap? I went to a few but they have older books (huck finn, etc) and i need newer ones. For example im looking for The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks for bookclub.
Try your library, they likely use Overdrive to loan ebooks.

Inkmesh.com will search and compare prices for ebooks between different vendors.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I2) Are there legit sites that have newer books I can download for free/cheap?
There are a few sites that have material that they are permitted to redistribute for free by the publishers/authors. But very few.

Sometimes authors/publishers have special offers. There are usually links to those in the deals forum here at MobileRead.

In general, any site offering free/cheap modern novels from well-known authors/publishers will not be legitimate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
3) Is there a place that has covers and cases? I have 3 kids and i know one of em will drop it at some point. Id like to try and protect it.
If you're the type to make your own goodies... You could probably re-purpose some stuff you've got lying around the house to make your own cover.
http://ebookcases.org/50-kindle-cove...make-yourself/
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
I just got a Kindle Keyboard 3 off Craigslist on Sunday and I like it so far. I managed to download 1 book off the amazon store. I was even able to get 1 picture on my Kindle. My kindle didnt come with a USB or Power cord so i ordered them off amazon. I know i cant do much without them, but i have a couple questions....

1) Is there a way (other than the hack i am reading about) to make the picture already on my Kindle my screensaver? I put it on there tonight but im confused from there.

and finally for your time reading this.
For #2 I like the Smashwords site: http://www.smashwords.com/ for newer books, also you can get all kinds of free books from the amazon website (just look up the category of book you're interested in and do a sort by price "Low to High").

For #3 Amazon has several covers listed (they even have a lighted cover that uses the K3 to power the light).
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I cant help you with the first one but for...

2) try scribd.com

3) eBay.com , amazon.com , and etsy.com is especially awesome (all handmade)
I found a few i liked that were handmade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Try your library, they likely use Overdrive to loan ebooks.

Inkmesh.com will search and compare prices for ebooks between different vendors.
I found 1 from the library.
~~~~~~~

Thanks for the replies and help.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote