Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
What is your favorite book available in the MobileRead library?

The title says it all. I have already downloaded the classics that I am familiar with but I am interested in which ones are everyone's favorite(s).
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My favorites are the individual titles & compilations of classic authors:

Jane Austen
Charles Dickens
H. Rider Haggard
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Henry James

These are beautifully prepared ebooks. A huge thank you to the MR folk who have produced these editions, and are continuing to add to our library!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The range is so large in the MR Library. That's like asking what's your favourite book available at Barnes & Noble.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I haven't explored the MR library too much, yet. Are these books that the MR members have converted from print to ebook form? So they're typically out of copyright?
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My favorite is The Thousand Nights and a Night.
Now, if only something similar existed for Ferdowsi's Shahnameh.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-13-2011 at 11:30 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I haven't explored the MR library too much, yet. Are these books that the MR members have converted from print to ebook form? So they're typically out of copyright?
Yes - these are ebooks created by MR members - of books that have entered the Public Domain - and can be shared freely.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
It's difficult to name but a few, but nevertheless:

in English (with thanks to Harry and Paul):
Sherlock Holmes Omnibus
all Jane Austen

in deutsch (mit Dank an Alaska und J.U.):
die Dostojewski-Bücher
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The range is so large in the MR Library. That's like asking what's your favourite book available at Barnes & Noble.
Yup! Instead of classics, I'd love to see people name an obscure title that few know, a guilty secret even, perhaps a book found as an adolescent on an old bookshelf or a recommendation passed along from someone in the know.

Here's mine, where I reveal my inner 10-year old:

For the lover of Prisoner of Zenda or the novels of Harold MacGrath, there's Graustark. Set in one of those obscure Balkan principalities, it has swords, fancy uniforms, disguised identities, dungeons, deceit, revenge, maidenly blushes and a chaste kiss or two. Ah!

I haven't read it in years, but it resides on my devices for that rainy day when nothing else will do. Thanks to crutledge for the upload.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
As you say. So the way I choose to interpret this question is: “What book available here is the best constructed (proofread and/or well formatted) and/or a wonderful book that only its presence in the MR library made one aware of?”

On this basis I would say Three Men in a Boat and any of the books by Lord Dunsany.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yup! Instead of classics, I'd love to see people name an obscure title that few know, a guilty secret even, perhaps a book found as an adolescent on an old bookshelf or a recommendation passed along from someone in the know.

Here's mine, where I reveal my inner 10-year old:

For the lover of Prisoner of Zenda or the novels of Harold MacGrath, there's Graustark. Set in one of those obscure Balkan principalities, it has swords, fancy uniforms, disguised identities, dungeons, deceit, revenge, maidenly blushes and a chaste kiss or two. Ah!

I haven't read it in years, but it resides on my devices for that rainy day when nothing else will do. Thanks to crutledge for the upload.
This!!!!!! I am trying to find books that I would have never thought of otherwise. Even in other languages I can read Spanish and French. I know of the well known classics like Jane Austen but am hoping to expand my library. I will definitely look up the book you mentioned.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Dumas, Alexandre: The Count of Monte Cristo.

Wallace, Edgar: Just Men Omnibus. Four Just Men in particular.

Piper, H. Beam: Little Fuzzy. A classic 1st contact SF novel.

I am also a big fan of the illustrated ebooks, search for illustrated in the title.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
my life leon trotsky (thanks, seagull)
civilization and its discontents (thanks, Sonist)
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thorne Smith - The Night Life of the Gods

Raymond Chandler - The Long Goodbye

I've only read a few of the many GK Chesterton, so it's too early to choose one.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It is way too hard to just choose one or a few. It seems like all the ones I have chosen have been great, so far. I enjoyed the cozy mysteries of Chesterton, G.K.: Father Brown Omnibus uploaded by HarryT . I did just find this one uploaded by Jellby, Galsworthy, John: The Forsyte Saga, that looks to be something I'll enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As you say. So the way I choose to interpret this question is: “What book available here is the best constructed (proofread and/or well formatted) and/or a wonderful book that only its presence in the MR library made one aware of?”

On this basis I would say Three Men in a Boat and any of the books by Lord Dunsany.
Your link took me back to the beginning of this thread. Did you mean this one? I agree it is a great story and is beautifully done.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

"Three Men on the Bummel " ? - nowhere near as well known............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote