Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #1126
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There shouldn't be any difference between calibre 2.7 and 2.8. Can you uncheck the attempt to support newer firmware version and post the full error message? That will tell me what the driver is seeing on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #1127
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There shouldn't be any difference between calibre 2.7 and 2.8. Can you uncheck the attempt to support newer firmware version and post the full error message? That will tell me what the driver is seeing on the device.
Ok -- upgraded to 2.8 and de-selected the option. Upon connecting the device I get the following:

calibre, version 2.8.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 502, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1671, in books
OperationalError: unable to open database file

When sending a book to the device, there are no error messages, and the book does show up on the device, but it is not visible by Calibre (not in the database when I look at 'On Device').

Any ideas? Thanks!
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #1128
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
An update, David --

Today my Kobo upgraded to the latest firmware (3.11) and now everything is once again fine with Calibre and all plugins. Thank you for your time.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #1129
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to hear. But, I can't think of a reason it wasn't OK before..
Old 11-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #1130
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Looks to me like DB corruption was likely. The upgrade probably does a repair?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #1131
oraoraora
oraoraora began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aurah20
Hi thanks for creating this plugin! i got my h20 and am creating many collections with it. But i have noticed that when i plug it into the computer, before the backlight would turn off and theres that still image. But now the backlight stays on while connected to pc. Is there a way to remedy this?
oraoraora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #1132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The light staying on is a change in the firmware. It used to always turn off but Kobo changed something recently with how the devices connect. Because of this, the light doesn't always turn of. Or at least, with my Glo it sometimes turns off and sometimes stays on. But, the eject behaviour is so much better that I don't care.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #1133
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may be better off asking in the Kobo device forum here, someone there may know or may figure something out in the future and not everyone reading that forum reads this one (or even this thread).
Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #1134
oraoraora
oraoraora began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aurah20
Well its just the first 10 times i plugged it into my compy, the light always switched off. Then i installed the kobotouchextended plugin and it started getting wonky and staying on so i assumed it had something to do with that. But if everyone is getting this effect then ill just leave it.
oraoraora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #1135
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, I can see that. But, calibre and the drivers are only responding to what the OS presents it. Whatever decides to turn the light off, or not happens a lot earlier. If you want to check, connect without calibre running and see what happens.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #1136
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sorry I am not really up to date on how this plugin works, but I wonder if it is possible for the wrapper divs that are present in kepubs synced from Kobo to be added to the kepubs that this plugin creates?

The Kobo kepubs look something like:
Code:
<body>
  <div id="book-columns">
    <div id="book-inner">

</div>
  </div>
<body>
It is possible to patch the device's built-in stylesheet to add some left/right padding to one of these divs, which cleanly works around a bug in the kepub reader that causes characters with large side bearing (such as f) to cut off when at the end of a line in full-screen mode.

However, without these divs, there doesn't seem to be any way to add padding to elements below body without potentially changing the layout of the book. (because some elements might already have padding.)

(Note that it is not possible for the patched stylesheet to add padding to the body element itself, as this tickles another bug in the kepub reader (or maybe just violates the kepub spec) which shifts the text right and results in even worse cut off problems.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-16-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Note
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #1137
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@GeoffR: AFAICT, it currently doesn't even *add* those divs .

So I went ahead and took a hatchet to the code (I've never used lxml, and I'm far from fluent in Python to begin with, so this may very well be awful, code-wise).

My highly scientific test with a single book would point towards success!

That said, I'm also using your (synced) kepub patch for that very issue, so .

EDIT: It appears to be screwing up books using div's instead of p's... On the other hand, those books also don't suffer from the cut-off bug on my device... :?

EDIT²: So, take two, with a crappy heuristic to, well, not do it on books that appear to use div tags to handle paragraphs...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-10-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Kill deprecated attachements, cf. #1159
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #1138
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Would you consider creating a pull request for this on GitHub? If this works (and others can verify that) it would be worth a new release to get it out there.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #1139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Would you consider creating a pull request for this on GitHub? If this works (and others can verify that) it would be worth a new release to get it out there.
After enough testing and it's found to work, I don't see a need for a poll as this plugin has been abandoned. So it would make sense to place it the first message for inclusion in Calibre's plugin list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #1140
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

I'm the author who abandoned the plugin. And I'm saying if this works I'll make a new release for it.

Tags
error, kobo aura one