Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: KOBO AURA ONE
PAGE TURN PERFORMANCE

I've been using the release candidate 3 software (firmware 629) for my DR800 and i'm still experiencing many problems with the page flipping speed in many epub books. The Irex blog said they have fixed the problem but definitively the original firmware was much better in terms of speed...

ANYBODY IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS???

Trying to give some more details, the page flipping is very random sometimes.. I found myself reading a book, the speed is fine and suddenly in the middle of the book, the performance begin to decrease and makes the reading experience quite bad. After trying different firmwares, the original one seems the more stable in terms of page flipping speed...

WAITING FOR YOUR COMMENTS OR HELP!!!!

PD-I create all my books using CALIBRE most of the times..
musteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
I also noticed a decrease in the page flipping speed in the middle of some books (also using DR800S with RC3 and Calibre).
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Epubs or PDFs?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
musteman
Enthusiast
musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.musteman has top level security clearance to Area 51.

I have the impression that not many people is experiencing these page flipping problems (I haven't read any complain on this foro with the RC3 firmware) and maybe the problem is the way I create the .epub books using calibre.

When I download a book in .doc format, this is what I normally do:

-I use the Bookdesigner to transform the .doc book into an .lrf book (I had a Sony Prs 505 before the Dr800).

-I use the Calibre to transform the .lrf book into an .epub book for the Dr800.

For the .pdf's I was doing the same:

-Using the solid pdf converter I transform the .pdf into a .doc book and then I repeat the previous steps.

Maybe this is causing the problems. What i'm doing now is:

- I transform the .doc books (or the .pdf) into .odt books using the OpenOffice (I have read is one of the best formats for the Calibre).

-I use the Calibre to transform the .odt book into an .epub for the Dr800.

I've reading for several hours today with this new method of creating my books and the page flipping seems OK. I'll keep you updated about it.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Franky
Nameless Being

i've got the same problem and did write that a couple of times in the hope to get some ideas to solve it. i read epub and sometimes pdf.

since it is in my opinion a software problem i just re-installed the basic software, the ..1.0-build1000 and the ..default-content. after that i start the reader and it flips great. speed is good. then i re-connect and put the update-...0629 on it. it still works then ok.
most comment was regarding the SD-card. so, i bought myself a new SD-card and currently it works good. however, the flipping problem come now and then back. i just do the re-install / install trick and it's ok.
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
musteman
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. That's what I was doing until now, changing the firmware when the page flipping was behaving weir.. As I said in some previous threads, I'm surprise Irex developers did not find the right formula to solve a problem like that. Page flipping speed is one of the most important things for a reader. To be changing firmwares all the time just to be able to read comfortably does not make much sense.... At this point, the software should be "mature" enough for basic things like this... Every new firmware contains improvements but also some "step backs" in essential areas...

I'll keep you updated if my new method of transforming ebooks works better or I keep experiencing the random problems...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by musteman View Post
I'm surprise Irex developers did not find the right formula to solve a problem like that. Page flipping speed is one of the most important things for a reader. To be changing firmwares all the time just to be able to read comfortably does not make much sense....
I've asked some people who experience this issue to provide a detailed description of their actions, so we can reproduce it in our testing facility. Unfortunately we haven't successfully done so. We are still keen in getting more details such as device type (DR800/DR1000) and firmware version, file format (pdf, epub, pdb), reading mode (original size, reflow), flow of operation (# of USB connection, # of times standby/off, # of reboots, # of books opened), etc.

Maybe this thread can serve as a place to share these experiences.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Epubs or PDFs?
epubs
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Franky
Nameless Being

@Gertjan: I can't tell you more then what i earlier did. to reproduce the problem is a challenge, but i think you won't be able to do so.

sometimes i've got the feeling as if the memory is filling up, is getting full, if you understand what i mean. so far I'm basically reading epub.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Haven't epubs always been slower to refresh that pdfs? I'm still running 1.7 firmware because I don't need the advanced features of RC 3 at the moment and RC 2 seemed like a dog from reports on here. From that perspective there seem to be no problems with page turn speed, regardless as whether the file is viewed at original size or reflowed. I do tend to reboot from time to time and have noticed that this seems to cure any apparent sluggishness - I say apparent because I have never timed page turns but if they seem to me to be slowing up a bit - if I have opened a lot of files in a short space of time is one example where this seems to happen.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
musteman
Enthusiast

Always epubs from an original .doc (most of the times) file transformed using Calibre. I explained in my previous threads the steps I normally do.

I agree with franky, it seems that radomly the device run out of memory somehow. The problem is that with a reset the performance does not always improve and we have to install other firmwares...

I do not know if that helps but when I experience these problems and I reset the device, the system does not remember the page I was reading in the book. Also, the page marks dissapear somehow...
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
I agree with franky, it seems that radomly the device run out of memory somehow. The problem is that with a reset the performance does not always improve and we have to install other firmwares...
That would mean it is not RAM filling up (as it is freed after a reboot) but the file system is? I don't see any way how that can happen which it makes it interesting. From a technical point of view, of course

Quote:
I do not know if that helps but when I experience these problems and I reset the device, the system does not remember the page I was reading in the book. Also, the page marks dissapear somehow...
That is to be expected as the last-page-read and other data is saved when a book is closed. Upon a normal shutdown, books are closed as well so this is saved to the SD card. When you hit the reset switch during operation, some data may not be saved.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
musteman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post

That is to be expected as the last-page-read and other data is saved when a book is closed. Upon a normal shutdown, books are closed as well so this is saved to the SD card. When you hit the reset switch during operation, some data may not be saved.

Gertjan, when I start experiencing delays on the page flipping, what I do is to put a mark on the page, close the book and the restart the device. Despite that, after the reset, when I open the book again the mark is gone and it starts at the first page...

I've tried to close the book and open another one before reseting (to make sure everything was save correctly on the SD card), but did not help..

If you need any file for your test let me know....

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
sordie
Enthusiast
sordie began at the beginning.

Device: IREX 800SG
Here is what I was able to determine. The slowdown occurs only on one epub that is heavily bookmarked. I redownloaded the epub from my kobo account, and the fresh copy page turns are just fine. So, it looks like something happened to it on the device. I'll move it over to another reader to see if the slow pageturns persists for the corrupt copy.

The culprit I suspect is bookmarking. My reasoning - I noticed other problems with bookmarking. Most important (and I replicated this in other epubs) once you bookmark a page, the bookmarked page and the page before it require 2 flipbar flips to turn the page (i.e. page forward, nothing happens, page forward again and the page turns). This behavior persists even after removing the bookmark.
sordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Gertjan, when I start experiencing delays on the page flipping, what I do is to put a mark on the page, close the book and the restart the device. Despite that, after the reset, when I open the book again the mark is gone and it starts at the first page...
I believe that's the same problem as the "last page" not being remembered. Keep in mind that "reset" is a hard reset. IE, it kills the device without giving it any time to gracefully exit/save/etc. Things like the current page, bookmarks, etc are not saved correctly in the situation.

The way I think about it is that the reset is only for emergency use, IE if the device has locked up or something similar. It's not really a "shutdown/restart" button.

There was some work done a while ago by some community users on a graceful shutdown feature. Maybe it's time to dust that off and start looking at it again.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote