Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Nook not booting after new micro sd card

Hi folks,

I just got my Nook a couple of days ago and went out this morning to buy a new 2 gig micro sd card. I turned the device off completely by holding down the power button until I got a white screen. Then I opened the back and put the card in. Tried to reboot and it is stuck on "Your device is starting up".

So, I took out the battery and put it back in after a few minutes. It is still stuck on the same screen.

Any ideas?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Hi folks,

I just got my Nook a couple of days ago and went out this morning to buy a new 2 gig micro sd card. I turned the device off completely by holding down the power button until I got a white screen. Then I opened the back and put the card in. Tried to reboot and it is stuck on "Your device is starting up".

So, I took out the battery and put it back in after a few minutes. It is still stuck on the same screen.

Any ideas?
Purely speculating: Did you format the card?
I've copied the structure (i. e. folder "documents", if I remember correctly) of the original card to my new one. Maybe that makes the difference?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Purely speculating: Did you format the card?
I've copied the structure (i. e. folder "documents", if I remember correctly) of the original card to my new one. Maybe that makes the difference?
Good suggestion. I formatted the card. Same result.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good suggestion. I formatted the card. Same result.
What I would do:
- Copy the document structure (not the files, just the folders) from internal memory to the SD card. (I guess you need the folder "documents" and the likes on your card.)
- Check whether you've got the correct FAT for your SD card. Check the internal memory (properties in Windows Explorer). Probably FAT32. Use the same for the SD card.
- Else try to boot without card.
If it's still not working, I'd reflash. But that's a separate explanation.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
lionel47
Addict

B&N Support just got my Nook working again. Basically, we did a factory reset by rebooting 8 times in a row.
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
B&N Support just got my Nook working again. Basically, we did a factory reset by rebooting 8 times in a row.
Strange. But congratulations - and have fun now...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Strange. But congratulations - and have fun now...
Working on having fun. This experience has really made me think about whether I want to softroot this device. I'll use it for a month or so before deciding.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
lkmg
lkmg began at the beginning.

Device: none
does the Nook support micro SDHC cards? what's the max size it can support? thanks.
lkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmg View Post
does the Nook support micro SDHC cards? what's the max size it can support? thanks.
At the moment it should be at least 16gb.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
There was a post earlier that the nook may have a 10GB limit. This was on 1.1.1, so they may have resolved the issue on 1.2. You may want to check on this yourself.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Working on having fun. This experience has really made me think about whether I want to softroot this device. I'll use it for a month or so before deciding.
I'm same as you: "Hacking" into my devices without knowing what I'm actually doing always leaves some bad gut feelings.
But in this case, you really can relax.
I don't see any way at all, how one could brick the nook. In the very worst case you go back to firmware 1.0 and then make the official update to 1.2 again. And it's totally effortless.
Whether you even need softroot, is a different issue of course. In my opinion, the standard OS of nook is good enough to conveniently do what it's intended for: Reading.
But at least you should give it a try. Going back and forth (I've done this twice until I've finally decided to keep it softrooted because I wanted to exchange the SIM card so I can use 3G in Germany) takes less than 1 hour, including testdriving the applications.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
I'm same as you: "Hacking" into my devices without knowing what I'm actually doing always leaves some bad gut feelings.
But in this case, you really can relax.
I don't see any way at all, how one could brick the nook. In the very worst case you go back to firmware 1.0 and then make the official update to 1.2 again. And it's totally effortless.
Whether you even need softroot, is a different issue of course. In my opinion, the standard OS of nook is good enough to conveniently do what it's intended for: Reading.
But at least you should give it a try. Going back and forth (I've done this twice until I've finally decided to keep it softrooted because I wanted to exchange the SIM card so I can use 3G in Germany) takes less than 1 hour, including testdriving the applications.
Thanks for the perspective. If I have time this weekend, I will softroot and enjoy the goodness.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Uhm, sorry, but what does your problem have to do with softrooting?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
eznark
eznark began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Having a similar problem. Nook won't even start when I have a sd card inserted. Hold down the power button and absolutely nothing happens. When I take the card out and restart? Starts up fine.

Strange.
eznark is offline   Reply With Quote