Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Ivoch
Enthusiast
Ivoch began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
E-Paper Display - where to buy?

Hello, being a student with interest in hardware/software development, I'd like to get my hands on an EPD to play around with (and maybe even use it jury rig a reader, complete with tangling wires and all that ).

I've searched google a bit but couldn't find any site that sells individual displays, only whole batches for manufacturers. Does anyone have any idea where to get one or is it just not possible? The Eink developer kits are slightly above my pay grade

Or, seeing that this is the Flea Market, I might be interested in a broken reader with a still functional display, but my budget is rather small, me being a student and all.

Oh, and first post o/
Ivoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Unfortunately, the screens are one of the most likely parts to break. You might try contacting one of the vendors directly to see if they have a "kind of broken" display they'd send you, or see if you can pick up a copy of last month's Esquire magazine, which had a couple of small, simple e ink panels (they didn't have reprogrammable screen areas, though.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Ivoch
Enthusiast

I know it's unlikely I'll find a broken unit with an intact display, but it's still possible. I'll contact some vendors but I doubt they'll bother with my request. At least not for a price I'd be comfortable with.

Though I'm interested about that Esquire thing. Can you tell me a bit more about it?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Do a search here on "esquire" and you'll find plenty of info. Regarding broken screens, there are some that just have one bad line or comparable limited damage. From the point of view of something to take apart and play around with, that might be good enough for you, and you should be able to get one cheap.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Ivoch
Enthusiast

Hmm, it looks like the Esquire's cover is a segmented type with just a few segments. While still interesting to play a bit with (and I sent Nate a PM, hopefully he still has some left), a graphics display would be a lot more fun.

And yeah, an "almost" intact display from an ebook reader would be fine with me.
Advert