Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #106
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
In short, now with a $149 price, it makes no sense to buy just about anything else, unless the shortcomings of the nook (annotations & dictionary support are poor) are too much for you.
Or you're not able to buy it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #107
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
It has been said previously on this thread, but I will repeat. The Kindle only reads books purchased from Amazon, free books without DRM, and of course hacked books.

The B&N is open. It reads Adobe epub. It reads library books. It reads books purchased from the Sony Store, Kobo store, and many others.
Yep. I think that's going to be the direction I go. Unless Amazon adds epub support to the Kindle. And even then I may stick with that, but we'll see. It's going to be awhile before I purchase a ereader still.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #108
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Or you're not able to buy it...
It's sad how true that is...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #109
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
Quote:
In short, now with a $149 price, it makes no sense to buy just about anything else, unless the shortcomings of the nook (annotations & dictionary support are poor) are too much for you.
And what about battery life ? I read it was great due to the lcd screen which cannot be turned off ? Anyone can confirm ?

The strength of the ereader (apart from the e-ink) is the fact you can read for hours before you need to charge it. If the Nook does not meet this criteria, I'll pass ...
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #110
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
It's sad how true that is...
Can't you just order it online?

EDIT: Nevermind, wifi nook is delayed for a month. *grumble*

Last edited by Lastblade; 06-24-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #111
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Can't you just order it online?

EDIT: Nevermind, wifi nook is delayed for a month. *grumble*
Really? I ordered mine Tuesday and received it yesterday.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #112
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I just read it from the nook forum how 2 people got their wifi delayed for a month. Glad you got yours!
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #113
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
I just read it from the nook forum how 2 people got their wifi delayed for a month. Glad you got yours!
Guess the orders exceeded the initial stock on hand.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #114
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyElfman View Post
And what about battery life ? I read it was great due to the lcd screen which cannot be turned off ? Anyone can confirm ?

The strength of the ereader (apart from the e-ink) is the fact you can read for hours before you need to charge it. If the Nook does not meet this criteria, I'll pass ...
You can still read for hours with the nook. I charge every 3 - 4 days and I use it several hours a day. If you have it in airplane mood the battery life is decent. It definitely isn't as good as the kindle, but I would much rather have the touch screen and slightly shorter battery life.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #115
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
You can still read for hours with the nook. I charge every 3 - 4 days and I use it several hours a day. If you have it in airplane mood the battery life is decent. It definitely isn't as good as the kindle, but I would much rather have the touch screen and slightly shorter battery life.
I guess it also depends on how much convenience you need. For travelers, 3-4 days may seem kind of short. When I'm traveling around, I want to charge my devices as little as possible and with the Kindle, I can do that. About once a week.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #116
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyElfman View Post

actually the LCD screen goes to sleep after a preset of either 10sec, 30 or 1min.

If you have the wifi and 3G on and do alot of LCD screen usage I would say you would get about 3 days, if you power down at night.

Airplane mode (Wi Fi and 3G) with very little LCD screen usage, ie you are in a middle of a book and have no need to shop around etc, I get about 5 to 6 days without powering it down (leaving it in sleep mode)

I'm very happy with that.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #117
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
The WiFi only nook is in stock at the B and N store in Annapolis as of this afternoon.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #118
DannyElfman
Groupie
DannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enoughDannyElfman will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
actually the LCD screen goes to sleep after a preset of either 10sec, 30 or 1min.

If you have the wifi and 3G on and do alot of LCD screen usage I would say you would get about 3 days, if you power down at night.

Airplane mode (Wi Fi and 3G) with very little LCD screen usage, ie you are in a middle of a book and have no need to shop around etc, I get about 5 to 6 days without powering it down (leaving it in sleep mode)

Thanks for the feedback. LCD & wifi won't used unless I'm home really. If I can read 2 hours a day for 6 days, it's fine by me
DannyElfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #119
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Sounds pretty good to me. I doubt I'll use the wifi much or the LCD.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #120
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMWilliams View Post
Sounds pretty good to me. I doubt I'll use the wifi much or the LCD.
Outside of page turns, the LCD is the primary means of navigation, which, coming from a full touchscreen (Sony 600), is a pain.