Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
DR800SG has abnormal noise when page turning

Does anyone find there is abnormal noise like "zzzz" when turning the page on DR800SG? The sound is little and you have to put your ear close to the device.

thanks
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
I don't hear anything, but it's possible that it's out of my audible range. I can hear the 19khz tone, but not the 20khz tone, at the Mosquito Ringtone Hearing Test. If you can hear 20khz or higher you may be noticing something most people can't.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
I don't hear anything, but it's possible that it's out of my audible range. I can hear the 19khz tone, but not the 20khz tone, at the Mosquito Ringtone Hearing Test. If you can hear 20khz or higher you may be noticing something most people can't.
Better test it on your dog! If it jumps every time you turn a page you know the sound exists.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I'm delighted: I won't see 50 again but I can hear the 22khz.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That's exceptional!

I won't see 50 again either and I thought I was doing really well with that 19khz. You must have great genes and/or you've kept your eardrums from getting beaten up by loud noise all your life.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If your sound card accepts only 44k samples per second (44khz), as most soundcards do (and most "HD Audio" soundcards are configured in windows to use 44khz), then it cannot output any sine waves with frequency more than 22khz, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem
50khz sine wave will turn on into silence after resampling to 44khz, so there will be nothing but silence from your speakers, your ears cannot help it
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opensesame View Post
Does anyone find there is abnormal noise like "zzzz" when turning the page on DR800SG? The sound is little and you have to put your ear close to the device.

thanks
Another user reports a "whistle" on his new iRex 1000S: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=1
I've never heard anything on my iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S or iRex 800S.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:

thanks
I can hear it if I put the back of the unit up against my ear, and, because I'm very old, I can't hear anything above 12 khz on the Mosquito test. I don't on the whole though read with the back of the unit against my ear so I can't see it being a problem - just wish you hadn't told me about it because now I'll be listening for it!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I can hear it if I put the back of the unit up against my ear, and, because I'm very old, I can't hear anything above 12 khz on the Mosquito test. I don't on the whole though read with the back of the unit against my ear so I can't see it being a problem - just wish you hadn't told me about it because now I'll be listening for it!
Just did your test.
When pressing my ear to the back, I hear it.
It sounds somewhat like briefly flicking a spiral spring and listening to it vibrating.
Never would have heard it in "normal reading position", looking at the front with a distance >> 20cm instead of pressing the ear to the back.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just did your test.
When pressing my ear to the back, I hear it.
It sounds somewhat like briefly flicking a spiral spring and listening to it vibrating.
Never would have heard it in "normal reading position", looking at the front with a distance >> 20cm instead of pressing the ear to the back.
Quick, test for the sound in standby.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Opensesame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Quick, test for the sound in standby.
It only happens when page turning.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
It only happens when page turning.
Just an idea: On most other readers, I have to inflict some "noisy" action, to turn pages: Push a button or use the stylus on the screen. This simply may "overlap" any sound of the display.
On iRex 800, turning the flipbar is relatively silent of course. So any "noise" may become way more obvious. Might just be the normal sound of flashing the screen.
But I understand: Once you've found something, you focus on it and start to worry. And suddenly you hear it without even trying...
Personally I don't really worry. Wouldn't have heard it on my own...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Opensesame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just an idea: On most other readers, I have to inflict some "noisy" action, to turn pages: Push a button or use the stylus on the screen. This simply may "overlap" any sound of the display.
On iRex 800, turning the flipbar is relatively silent of course. So any "noise" may become way more obvious. Might just be the normal sound of flashing the screen.
But I understand: One you've found something, you focus on it and start to worry. And suddenly you hear it without even trying...
Personally I don't really worry. Wouldn't have heard it on my own...
Good idea
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
So. maybe we are agreed that it's not an abnormal noise, but a normal one that you can only hear if you do something abnormal with your ereader
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I won't see 50 again either and I thought I was doing really well with that 19khz. You must have great genes and/or you've kept your eardrums from getting beaten up by loud noise all your life.
I have yet to see 50, but I was a drummer for a long time. I'm avoiding that test because it'll probably just depress me.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote