Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
lawrenc
Edge User

Thumbs up Car Charger for Pocket Edge.

Found at RadioShack-

enercell 12VDC-2A Car Power Adapter Model #270-052

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lickid=prod_cs

Includes the "H" tip which works with the pe, (install with POSITIVE tip polarity, as per instructions).
The "H" tip is slighty longer than the OEM tip (perhaps 1/8") but works just fine.

Tested for a week now, over the road, with no issues. US$15.00.

Lawrence

Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Excellent - thanks for sharing

Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
sjarrel
Edge User

Is the tip for the PE the same for the EE?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Yes, it is.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
JonathanWardRogers
Edge User

Hi. Could someone please tell me the tip dimensions for the ac adapter? It would really help when looking for alternative/additional chargers. Thanks,
Jonathan

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanWardRogers View Post
Hi. Could someone please tell me the tip dimensions for the ac adapter? It would really help when looking for alternative/additional chargers. Thanks,
Jonathan
Direct from tech "Here are the measurements for the tip: 2.1*9.5mm. 2.1 is the width, 9.5mm is the height"

Search the forum, I remember someone posting one from Amazon tha worked. And for a car charger I use a power inverter, much easier and gives me laptop power if I need it too.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
guyjack
Edge User

I also use an inverter. It is pretty nice to use. But do you ever have a problem with the noise your inverter makes or if it smell and gets hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Direct from tech "Here are the measurements for the tip: 2.1*9.5mm. 2.1 is the width, 9.5mm is the height"

Search the forum, I remember someone posting one from Amazon tha worked. And for a car charger I use a power inverter, much easier and gives me laptop power if I need it too.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
JonathanWardRogers
Edge User

Thanks! I have an inverter, but it's too bulky to keep in the glove box and my wife, for some reason, thinks cords are messy. So I also cannot leave it plugged in. We take it on trips, but something for every day use would be nice.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
I also use an inverter. It is pretty nice to use. But do you ever have a problem with the noise your inverter makes or if it smell and gets hot?
If it smells and or gets hot you are trying to draw more power than it is rated for.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
ivan
Edge User

I hate to argue with tech
Quote:
but I just measured mine for the EE. It is 3.5 mm OD with a 1.3 mm centre hole and is 9.5 mm long. (OD is the outside diameter of the metal barrel). Anyone trying to use a 2.1 mm OD plug (they do exist) will find the centre hole is too small and they may succeed in breaking their socket .

Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
liz
Edge User

I was going crazy looking for accessories for my PE and finally called office depot. They had a power adapter that works (still have to get it to be sure) according to the office depot tech and she ran a google search- ended up on the accessory page for entourage and said the one they sell has the same specs. Did the same with her for a repalcement stylus and she had one ($16.99) in case I loose mine;{ so give office depot a call.
liz

Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
netrobot
Edge User

I'm not clear on something. The CAR is 12 volts DC. The UNIT is 12 volts DC. What is the point of a "charger"? Can't you just rig up a cigarette lighter plug and an "eDGe" plug with a hunk of two-conductor and go?

I mean, OK you have to get the polarity right, and according to Murphy's Law, with two ways to wire it, you've got an 18% chance of getting that right the first time, but a voltage tester would improve the odds considerably, right?

I have a 12-volt Bluetooth hands-free mirror attachment in my car. Rather than keep taking it out and plugging it in to charge, I rigged up a small cable with the right plug/polarity tapping power off the map light in the headliner about four inches away, and now it's powered whenever the car is running. This has worked fine for three years, so I don't know why the Entourage wouldn't.

Now if we could just get the battery to charge on an inductive pad, that would be sweet.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
I'm not clear on something. The CAR is 12 volts DC. The UNIT is 12 volts DC. What is the point of a "charger"? Can't you just rig up a cigarette lighter plug and an "eDGe" plug with a hunk of two-conductor and go?

I mean, OK you have to get the polarity right, and according to Murphy's Law, with two ways to wire it, you've got an 18% chance of getting that right the first time, but a voltage tester would improve the odds considerably, right?

I have a 12-volt Bluetooth hands-free mirror attachment in my car. Rather than keep taking it out and plugging it in to charge, I rigged up a small cable with the right plug/polarity tapping power off the map light in the headliner about four inches away, and now it's powered whenever the car is running. This has worked fine for three years, so I don't know why the Entourage wouldn't.

Now if we could just get the battery to charge on an inductive pad, that would be sweet.
Well, some of us are not so into 'rigging things' and prefer to purchase a working solution.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
ivan
Edge User

netrobot, you have been lucky with your direct hookup to your bluetooth device because the '12 volts' provided in a car is not a regulated 12 volts and can reach 15 volts when the battery is being charged. Some devices get very upset if they are looking for 12 v and get 15 v - they tend to burn out! Hence the use of a 'charger' that has a regulated output.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
gecko
Edge User

A nice thing about using an inverter (especially a reasonably hefty one, like 250 watts) is that you can plug a power strip into it and run a bunch of things off of it at once - a laptop, say, plus a cell-phone charger, plus an EnToURagE charger. There's not enough power to run an electric lawn mower, I don't think. These things won't fit in the glove compartment, but they will fit under the seat.

Another nice thing is that you've got a regulated output, so you won't fry your device.