Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 06-02-2003, 01:40 AM   #1
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Question Nebie Q-Large paragraph gap in iSilo

Hi,

I'm evaluating iSilo (palm version, v3.3) as an alternative to Plucker (it's much faster, and handles graphics and tables MUCH better), but have encountered something REALLY annoying.

Some pages (not all) when converterd (using iSiloX v3.3) put large 2 line gaps between the paragraphs of text. I find this really disrupts my reading, ann ANNOYING! Is this a common "feature" of iSilo? The pages view properly in isilo for windows, too.

Any help here would be much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Can you say what channel you were trying to convert? Or you can also attach your converted channel here and I will have a closer look.
Advert
Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
Can you say what channel you were trying to convert? Or you can also attach your converted channel here and I will have a closer look.
I've attached a sample simple html page which illustrates the problem for me. It's very simple (only 2 paragraphs), but when I view it in isilo on my clie T615C, there's a whacking great 2 line gap between the two paragraphs...sigh
Attached Files
File Type: txt test.html.txt (434 Bytes, 407 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Here's the pdb created with the above html page.
Attached Files
File Type: pdb test paragraphs-is.pdb (864 Bytes, 427 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Problem solved. The helpful people at isilo have come to the rescue. The problem lay with isilox's css file, which defined the <p> tag to give a larger gap than I was comfortable with.

A quick edit of the style sheet, reconvert, and I'm a happy camper!

I'm very impressed with the quality and speed of support from the guys. They deserve every dollar they get from my registration <g>
Advert
Old 06-03-2003, 02:12 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes that would have been my first try too. For anyone who doesn't understand: there is a cascade style sheet located in your isiloX\CSS directory called html40.css. There, the <p> paragraph tag is defined with:

H4, P,
BLOCKQUOTE, UL,
FIELDSET, FORM,
OL, DL, DIR,
MENU { margin: 1.33em 0 }

By adding the margin (like decreasing it) you can influence the final look of the document in the iSilo reader.

Right, cbarnett?

Greets
Alex
Old 06-03-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Yeah, that's right. It's mighty powerful, once you know it's there, and know anything about style sheets. You can do all sorts of preformatting.

In the example above, I changed the 1.33 to 0.5, and am very satisfied with the results.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I've never thought about it - but maybe we should try to "tweak" the .css file a bit. Will definitely play around with it.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Wow! Didn't even know this existed. I do a lot with CSS, and will caution anyone wanting to play with this to make sure you maintain good "habits" (i.e., make a backup before you begin). Things can really go south if you don't watch what you're doing. The CSS file in iSiloX is not a typical stylesheet, so be careful!

To really understand what the stylesheet settings impact, you'd have to see the native code and find the tags...but you can't see in a .pdb file like that, so it will take some trial and error to discover what does what (other than the obvious tags).

One interesting note is that there's a class in the sheet called "@media_speech"...what is that for? Indicates voice-based playback of some type, with both a male or female voice. Is anyone's PDA talking to them?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Not mine