Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
For those who think $9.95 too much for a new book/bestseller...

I've seen plenty of posts around mobileread the past while of people thinking 9.95 USD too much to pay for a new release or bestseller ebook. Not to mention the complaints about backlist title prices...

I thought I'd give some of our international readers (and I very carefully won't mention any specific country) a small glimpse as to what book prices can be like in another country.

I would like to direct your attention here. This is really the only option NZer's have when it comes to buying books. Those lucky enough to live in the main centres have access to Borders, but, surprise surprise, prices are generally the same.

For those who haven't followed the link, let me summarize for you.
In general, adult paperbacks START at around $19 NZD, and hardbacks are generally priced anywhere from about $45 NZD all the way up to about $65 NZD. The only adult books that are significantly cheaper than this are a select few "popular" books (for eg: Dan Brown).

The current exchange rate at the moment is 1.00 NZD = 0.678 USD

There, got that off my chest...

Last edited by sherman; 08-15-2009 at 05:53 AM.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Gulp!

I'd imagine those sort of prices make ebooks look like a pretty attractive alternative in New Zealand.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Its the same here. I live in Singapore. We may have Borders, Kinokuniya but prices aren't nowhere close to those in North America.

A US$7.99 paperback will cost around SGD$16. At the current exchange rate, its about US$11. Which is why I fully embraced ebookstores. The amount of money I saved a year switching from physical books to ebooks is enough to get me one ebook reader even if the ebook are all priced at US$9.95.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
crikey ! and i thought books were expensive here (france). a new book in large-sized paper back (called "broché" meaning it's sewn now glued, but still not hardcover ; most new books are first published in this format) costs usually around 20€. second-printing pocket edition paperback books are usually around 7€ or more which is a bit more reasonable (although still high, i think). ebooks are so far wildly varying, with most of them being closer to broché prices than pocket, with a few (public domain, usually, or small / independent authors and publishers) exceptions.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Yeah, I definitely find ebooks to be rather low priced, and I've actually bought more books since I've had my Sony reader than I ever did before.

Put it this way, I can completely full my car with petrol for cheaper than I can buy a new hardback book...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
to all my prospective customers... uh, I mean friends... in New Zealand!

More than once, I've thought about the differences in costs and cost of living in various countries, and how e-books stand elsewhere. For instance, who's going to buy even a $3.50 e-book when your monthly wage equals the equivalent of about $30?

These discrepancies could often be dealt with when the merchandise was physical. But with electronic merchandise, the equations have changed. Some online payment systems are evolving to give the seller some more control over prices in different countries/currencies, but we aren't quite there yet.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "standard" price for a paperback in the UK is generally either £6.99 or £7.99 - that's about $11.60 or $13.20 respectively.

"New release" hardbacks in the UK cost anywhere from about £15 to £20 ($25 to $33). For example, the full UK price of Dan Brown's new book is $18.99 ($32), although many bookshops are offering it for half price for pre-order, so that's £9.50, or $16.

So, from a UK perspective, $10 for a new release is a bargain.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-16-2009 at 03:38 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote