Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
olig
Enthusiast
olig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4nt 4.1.3 jailbreak
Extra metadata import from ODT

Hi!

I'm working on some conversion which involves ODT as it's base format. But it seems that on the metadata side only the most basic properties are imported from the ODT.

You can add custom properties to a ODF file (File->Properties->Custom Properties), so it would be very easy to add stuff like publisher and dates here and add them to the metadata import for odt files.

Has nobody yet thought of this, or is this an unwanted feature? Or differently put: should I submit a patch for it?

The custom fields could be named 'opf.OPFKEY' to keep them separated from other custom fields and to prevent unintentional import of custom fields not meant for eBooks...

Cheers,
Oliver.
olig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For metadata import to be generally useful, the set of fields needs to be broadly recognized/used. Defining a special set of fields that only calibre recognizes is of limited utility.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
olig
Enthusiast

LibreOffice has a dropdown with predefined custom value keys. But for ebook publishing this set is very limited (there is Publisher, but no ISBN for example).

And bevor something is 'broadly used' someone needs to give the ability to use it. Just because nobody thought of it yet does not mean it will be of limited utility

But I understand your point of view and I'm fine with doing a wrapper script instead.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually wont refuse a patch that adds the ability to read custom fields. In the future, if there is a more widely accepted set of fields, then calibre can allows switch to using those in preference to the custom ones.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
olig
Enthusiast

Ok... I think the 'intentional approach' might be the better idea. So you have to know what you do and add the right properties to your ODT document so that calibre will use them.

For this I would first check for a bool property 'opf.metadata'. If this is true, the metadata module will parse properties named opf.XXX and add them to the metadata, possibly overwriting stuff set before (original metadata module sets authors = creator, which needs not to be true).

The fields I currently see are:
opf.authors
opf.author_sort
opf.publisher
opf.pubdate
opf.isbn
opf.language

I have not yet found the preferred way of patch submission for the calibre project, and the forum does not allow file attachments. How should I submit the patch? (I already checked out the repository and the patch will be made with bzr)
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
olig
Enthusiast

Still experimenting with some more... I think I can also enable direct cover image conversion (if the cover image is really an image and not a text page). A proof of concept with my test document already works.

By giving the the image in question a name in the ODT, I can find it quickly in the document content (open with odfpy, use element function to find the elements in question).

My test is to just set mi.cover in odt.get_metadata to the href of the image inside the document. After a run of ebook-convert this results in the id of the resource in question becoming 'cover' instead of some id+count.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/deve...to-be-included
Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The docx metadata reader plugin takes the first image as the cover, if it is large enough and roughly the right shape (not too wide or too narrow). You should be able to do the same with odt.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
olig
Enthusiast

Sure, but using a named image is even better. I don't like guessing, and I already coded it

It also seems that the name of a picture in LibreOffice (I assume that this is true for other incarnations, too) has to be unique. At least I was unable to create a file with two equally named images.

I'm just searching for a place where I can add a bit of user documentation about my addition.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its better for people that are creating an odt to be converted/imported by calibre. But for people receiving a random odt, picking the first image is better. You should treat it the same way you tret title and authors. If the special named metadata is present, use it, otherwise fallback to guessing.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
olig
Enthusiast

Good idea, will do so. The height/width division in docx seems to be wrong without a from __future__ import division.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

docx.py has

from __future__ import (unicode_literals, division, absolute_import,
print_function)
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #13
olig
Enthusiast

It obviously was to late yesterday

I'm currently adding a piece of doc to conversion.rst
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
olig
Enthusiast

I have committed my changes to the branch lp:~lydon/calibre/odt-convert
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Merged, with a little minor refactoring. I didn't test my changes, so have a look.