Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
bookw0rm2
bookw0rm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Calibre cannot communicate with Kindle Oasis.

I've read through some of the other threads with the same issue, but nothing has helped me solve this problem... here is the error message I get -

calibre, version 4.21.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 473, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 163, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bookw0rm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
What O/S are you running and what version of it?

edited to ask:

Exactly "what steps" have you taken that haven't worked? That way we don't have to guess....
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
bookw0rm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post

edited to ask:

Exactly "what steps" have you taken that haven't worked? That way we don't have to guess....
Kindle 5.12.5 and Calibre 4.21

I've reset the Kindle & used different USB cable (including a brand new Amazon OG one).

My laptop can see the Kindle & Calibre acknowledges that a Kindle is connected but then the error message appears...
Old 07-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
bookw0rm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookw0rm2 View Post
Kindle 5.12.5 and Calibre 4.21

I've reset the Kindle & used different USB cable (including a brand new Amazon OG one).

My laptop can see the Kindle & Calibre acknowledges that a Kindle is connected but then the error message appears...
Also wanted to mention that I went to check the files & folders setting on system preferences (I'm on a Mac) and Calibre doesn't show up there (no app does) so there's nothing to check... not sure if that's related but I found that solution in the FAQs..
Old 07-19-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reset the SMC chip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error in particular the second point
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #7
bookw0rm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've checked there but nothing shows up?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #8
bookw0rm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reset the SMC chip.
How do I do that?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me quote it for you

On macOS if you get permission errors when connecting a device to calibre, you can fix that by looking under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
bookw0rm2

Quote:
Let me quote it for you

On macOS if you get permission errors when connecting a device to calibre, you can fix that by looking under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders.
No I mean, I know where to go but there's nothing showing up under Files & Folders... It's blank.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In your error message you have

Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

the only cause for that I know of is the catalina security feature.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
How do I do that?
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
bookw0rm2

Quote:
In your error message you have

Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

the only cause for that I know of is the catalina security feature.
Thank you. I think the issue is because I'm running the Big Sur beta. I'll wait for the general release & check again
Old 07-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thank you. I think the issue is because I'm running the Big Sur beta. I'll wait for the general release & check again
Quote:
And that might be why in the second message in this thread, you were asked what O/S (operating system) and version you were running.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I think I'd still try the SMC reset. If the Kindle is not being detected by the o/s it points to either a h/w issue or an underlying o/s issue. If it were to be an o/s issue I'm sure you'd be seeing other Big Sur users with similar issues. At least if you can report it to Apple do!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote