Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #18631
David Postle
David Postle began at the beginning.

Device: none
I always have several projects going at the one time.
One major project and several minor projects.

My major project at the current time is to get through all of Anthony Trollope's output,
but I intersperse tath with other things for the sake of variety.

When I read an author I like to read as much of their output as possible in chronological order so I can follow the development of that author.

I am between books right now. Last one was Castle Richmond, next is Framley Parsonage, which I will start in the next couple of days.

Other things I am reading at intervals between Anthony Trollope are
The World's Greatest 1000 stories (in 20 volumes).
Theodore Sturgeon's Complete Stories
Henry James Complete Short Stories
The Worlds Greatest Stories of Detection, Horror and Mystery ed Dorothy L Sayers
Robert E Howard's Conan Stories
The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps

From the New Year, I have extended the above list to also include
Charles Dickens. I've read most of Charles Dickens books,
but I recently bought the Delphi Complete Works on Kindle,
so I am now going back to read the bits and pieces that I missed out on.

Andrew Lang's colored fairy books.
Mrs Henry Woods Johnny Ludlow stories (six series)
and will very soon re-read the Sherlock Holmes stories which I haven't read a long time.

I picked up a lot of British Argosy's at a book fair a couple of years ago,
so I try to read these from time to time so I can get rid of them.

I also read a lot of comics.
I am trying to read all of Marvel Comics since the Fantastic Four made their debut
in 1961, and have just started 1973.
After reading a month's worth of comics, then I read a few miscellaneous comics
before starting on the next months.

Generally I will read one novel at a time and will read a comic after every few chapters.
Short stories I sometimes read the whole volume, but I will generally read a few stories,
then put it aside and read something else.
David Postle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #18632
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Postle View Post
I am trying to read all of Marvel Comics since the Fantastic Four made their debut
in 1961, and have just started 1973.
That sounds like a VERY expensive project, from what I've seen of the pricing of comics!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #18633
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool New release from Hugh Howey

The World of Kurt Vonnegut: Peace in Amber (Kindle Worlds Short Story)
by Hugh Howey

Publication Date: January 14, 2014

Hugh Howey was a boat captain living aboard a seventy-four-foot yacht in the shadow of the Twin Towers on the morning of September 11, 2001.

Imprisoned and put on display in a glass-domed zoo on the planet Tralfamadore, adult film actress Montana Wildhack is left alone with her thoughts and her occasional lover Billy Pilgrim.

Inspired by Kurt Vonneguts masterpiece Slaughterhouse Five, Howey uses this short story to weave his own personal Dresden experience with Wildhacks private hell. In Peace in Amber, he examines the struggle to determine what to control, when to surrender, and how to discern those things we cannot change.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-14-2014 at 11:32 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #18634
5stack
5stack began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
I'm reading Book 5 of Game of Thrones. Any idea when book 6 is coming out?
5stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #18635
MichelleLouring
Owl Lady
MichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Android Tablet
Currently at the second book in A Song of Ice and Fire. Got the entire series in paperback, which might not have been a good idea since I always carry the book I'm reading with me. These bad boys are huge!
MichelleLouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #18636
5stack
5stack began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleLouring View Post
Currently at the second book in A Song of Ice and Fire. Got the entire series in paperback, which might not have been a good idea since I always carry the book I'm reading with me. These bad boys are huge!
Yeah they're 1000 pages each. Book 2 was fantastic! I hope you enjoy it.
5stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #18637
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I started Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas - YA high fantasy. Not really very keen on the protagonist, who is far too over-dramatic and irritating for a supposedly highly skilled assassin, but it's keeping me entertained well enough so far.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #18638
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I'm reading Book 5 of Game of Thrones. Any idea when book 6 is coming out?
There has been some mumblings around the internet that it will come out in May, but don't hold your breath. He is working on both books 6 and 7 at the same time and I'm not sure that his editor has even seen them yet. So, take your time.

My Mom is on book 2 (and struggling a little to learn the ins and out of her PPW). I started book 1 on audiobook and was about 1/2 way during the summer. Will have to pick it up again later this month.

Blurb: apparently he needs to get the book out in advance of season 6, so maybe May is really true.

Sadly, tomorrow is the middle of the month and I still haven't picked up a Baen book from last month's bundle! Gotta get that loaded into the Kindle and read. Dr. Sleep isn't here yet, so I'm working on buddy reads - Colour of Magic (Pratchett) and Conspiracy in Death (Robb), the second of which is a relisten. BUT, I did finish this month's Asimov SF and one from my TBR.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-14-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #18639
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow, Fury of the Demon was a real winner! Yay Diana Rowland!!

Now on to read Hugh Howey's new release, Sand Omnibus!
I just finished reading Sand Omnibus and found it to be quite a good read! I enjoyed it immensely as I have everything I've read that was written by Hugh Howey!

Next, a re-read of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #18640
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Moving on to The Cuckoo's Calling by J. K. Rowling (writing as Robert Galbraith). I've had this on my wish list for ages, but finally broke down and bought it. If I waited to get it from the library, it would have been another year, at least.
Excellent. I enjoyed this quite a bit, and hope that she'll continue to write more with these characters. Though I suspect it's unlikely, now that she's been outed as the author of it. But one can hope. I can see definite potential going forward.

Next up, the final volume in the Tanyth Fairport series from Nathan Lowell - The Hermit of Lammas Wood. I've enjoyed this series, and am looking forward to this volume. Though I admit, what I really want is the next volume of Ishmael Wang's adventures. Soon, we're told.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #18641
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
A short side trip to read A Gift of Music, by Sharon Lee -- a Baen Free Short Story just published on the Baen site. A gift of a story is a great way to promote your new book, and this one is to promote Carousel Sun which will be available in eBook format tomorrow.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #18642
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Just finished _Through the Evil Days: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mystery_ (Clare Ferguss… by Julia Spencer-Fleming

I still really like this series... sort of Cozy Mystery with a bit of romance (but not sickening amount). All of them have been good reads. Set in Miller's Kill New York, most of them are set in the winter and of course, the main characters are freezing/in snow/trapped out side in most of the books. So, I sit and read it in my Florida home very glad that I moved away from New England.

My next read will be _Divergent_ by Veronica Roth. I knew nothing about this series but saw it on a "Books to read before the movie comes out" list and it sounded interesting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #18643
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I've finished roger MacBride's second book in his Caliban series: Isaac Asimov's Inferno.

It is a reasonable science-fiction crime drama--a pleasant read though It isn't really special in any way. It generally succeeds in conveying something of the uncomplicated readability of Asimov's style in this genre. It has some interesting moments--particularly in a chapter where robots discuss the nature of their consciousness.

I'm sure that fans of Asimov's Three law Robot universe will enjoy this book and others may well find it a pleasant sequel to the first in the series.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #18644
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Starting to read American Legends: The Life of Sitting Bull.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #18645
David Postle
David Postle began at the beginning.

Device: none
That sounds like a VERY expensive project, from what I've seen of the pricing of comics!

It's really only the key comics that are expensive, and most of these are available
in Masterworks or other collections nowadays, so it's not quite as expensive as it used to be.
David Postle is offline   Reply With Quote