Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide

[moderator note - the information can be found in the MobileRead wiki here also in a sticky in the Sony forum here. The new wiki page name is "Sony Reader Start-Up and Reset Guide"]

Since Christmas, there has been a lot of new members joining the forums with a shiny new Sony 300, 600 and/or 900. I've noticed a lot of posts relating to problems with:

Installing the Sony Reader software
Installing Adobe Digital Editions
Authorizing their Reader to the Sony software
Authorizing their Reader to ADE
Resetting the device (hard or soft)
Borrowing library books
Ebook retailers that sell ePub, PDF and/or LRF
USB device not recognized (see post #3, thanks omk3)

There are so many posts that a newcomer to the forums could get lost just trying to sift through the information contained in multiple posts/threads.

My idea is to create a Sony Reader Troubleshooting Guide that would provide step by step instructions for all of the items listed above and any others people can think of. Most of the information will be gleamed from information already in the MR forums but just organized in one place (hopefully in the MR Wiki).

While I do not have the answers as to how to perform all these functions, I think as a community we should be able to gather a one-stop guide as to what a new owner of a Sony Reader will need to do to begin reading ebooks on their device. If they run into problems during installation, hopefully the quide will help them troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed.

Please post with comments/suggestions as to how you think this should best be accomplished. Also, if you have experience with a particular troublesome install please post as the more detailed we can get the better. Personally, I don't want to be the only person gathering this information but will help with as much as I can and any member wanting to provide assistance to the cause it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dreams; 12-27-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: add mod note
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I say do it (and I have suggested it before)! That's what the Visual Kindle Guide is all about.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Good idea!

A problem that comes up a lot is the "usb device not recognized" one, where you can't access the reader on the computer. A simple soft reset solves the problem. People keep asking about that all the time.

Another problem with the prs-600 that stumps a few people: Sometimes it freezes. Not often, but when it does, again you will be fine with a reset. Only after resetting you also have to push the power button to restart the reader and renew the screen, otherwise it still seems frozen, because the screen hasn't changed.

If we all chime in with little problems we've managed to solve, I think we can make a good and helpful guide.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I say do it (and I have suggested it before)! That's what the Visual Kindle Guide is all about.
The Visual Kindle Guide is what initially gave me the idea for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
A problem that comes up a lot is the "usb device not recognized" one, where you can't access the reader on the computer. A simple soft reset solves the problem. People keep asking about that all the time.

Another problem with the prs-600 that stumps a few people: Sometimes it freezes. Not often, but when it does, again you will be fine with a reset. Only after resetting you also have to push the power button to restart the reader and renew the screen, otherwise it still seems frozen, because the screen hasn't changed
I will add the "usb device not recognized" to my original post so we can keep an initial list all in one place.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I'll contribute. I've actually started one myself and have been looking on this board for more things to add to it. I'll send you what I have.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard

Lilly, whatever guide that results from this project should also be posted on the forums you created.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Lilly, whatever guide that results from this project should also be posted on the forums you created.
Thanks. I sent you what I compiled so far via PM and I'll send you the rest later. Feel free to change it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Great idea, grooks.

How about mentioning using a PSP charger and doing a FULL mains charge before trying anything else. Red light on when charging. Usually takes at least 4 hours some people have left it plugged in overnight to fix a problem.

Explain:
* what ADE is and about it being a separate program than the Reader Library. (Adobe ID given)
* .asm files
* the order to install ADE and Reader Library on clean install
* what to do after you have Reader Library but not ADE installed?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Some people also asked why there is no cd with their reader and where the sony software is. Of course most have no time to wonder, once you plug in the reader it installs itself, buy it still may be a good idea pointing out that the software (and the manual) are on the reader itself (for the prs-600 at least)

Another popular question is how to stop the software opening every time you plug in your reader.

And maybe a "how to get books on your reader" guide. Using sony software, using calibre, using ADE, dragging and dropping....
Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
When I first bought my 505, there was a CD that came with the reader. That was version 2.5 and it worked fine. When I bought my 700, I don't think it had a CD, but still v2.5 worked fine; I never had any problems other than battery issues.
Now that Sony bumped up to v3.0 and 3.5, I've NEVER gotten it to work.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Another popular question is how to stop the software opening every time you plug in your reader.
I remembered seeing that fix recently as well. Here is the link to the fix for it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67814
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Guys I'm so grateful. I'l be one of the people you'll be helping. Bought the 600 last week, will pick it up in three.

I'm checking out what needs to be done to try and pre empt probs, since I'm useless at resolving tech glitches and would pref just not to have to.

So, what I am perplexed about is the software.... this is what I'm hearing, don't use Sony reader software.... hell its not so bad...... you need updates...... you don't really need updates..... use calibre...... don't use calibre and sony software at same time..... how do you disable the software?... is autorun the same default ebook software....if the software is running autmotically it will by default open the ebooks, no? you can disactivate that by... jargon jargon (i'll check out the link in spideog's post, thanks for that). use ADE to strip drm (what does ''strip" mean, is that the same as opening a bought book in ADE, does that strip the drm?), and now, the latest, ADE doesn't work on a Mac when using the Sony reader? Just when I was set to use ADE and calibre. And registering? if Mac doesn't work with ADE then I will need to use sony reader software after all.

And so it goes...

Could I ask for two things, Mac and PC advice and that it is written really, really transparently?

Then it would just be beyond fab. I'd hit a paypal button for that with great pleasure. And thanks for getting together to think it over.

Pan

Last edited by Pangolin; 01-14-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typoz
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
omk3
Wizard

Pangolin, you are really confused, my friend
I suspect (and hope) that everything will look much simpler when you actually have your device in your hands! Right now you are overloaded with information you have still no practical use for...

You are right though, the guide would need to address any mac- or windows-specific issues too.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
A dedicated one-stop sounds good to me, but I've found very useful info here already!
Thanks for helping us Newbies!
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I've had my PRS-300 for three weeks, read a few books. LOVE IT!
This morning I decided to download from my Public Library.
What a nightmare, took me almost two hours to read everything on Adobe and Sony site to figure it all out. I had to come here to see why it would not let me disconnect.
All is well and working.

YES!!
A noob guide is needed.
Thank you.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote