Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Hi, my name is Kris, and I am a read-a-holic

I had my last read approximately 3 minutes ago.

I have come to seek from the fountain of ebook knowledge so that I may absorb and be wise in the use of my Kindle.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi kris !

you'll find that most of us are addicted to reading here as well, but none of us seem inclined to fight it... well, there are worse things to be addicted to !

welcome to the forum.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Kris I'm afraid there's no-one known cure for readaholism
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Welcome Kris I'm afraid there's no-one known cure for readaholism
(thank heavens !)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Hi Kris, thank you for sharing. My name is Grim and I'm a read-a-holic. I even read while I'm brushing my teeth. I read in all the spare minutes...I can't just sit on the couch and do nothing. Do you still need a sponsor?

BTW, what are the 12 steps for read-a-holics?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post

I have come to seek from the fountain of ebook knowledge so that I may absorb and be wise in the use of my Kindle.
Well, join the club. You will find lots of interesting discussions, information, and just don't get too involved downloading books to read them.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm DixieGal and I'm a readaholic too.

(Hi DixieGal)

I have been addicted for a long time. It all started at age 7 with my first book, Black Beauty. It had a beautiful black horse running through autumn leaves on the cover. I slept with it beside my pillow. That was my gateway book. I moved on to The Aristocats and Nancy Drew, and although they say it is harmless and non-addicting, I found myself unable to stop.

At about age 10, I moved on to the harder stuff: Nova by Ben Bova. It was my first hard science scifi. It read good, and I re-read it over and over to experience that feeling of pleasure it gave me. I needed my fix more frequently and turned to "borrowing from the library." Sometimes I would even ask my mom to drive me downtown to get my fix in the rain or darkness. Sure, she worried, afraid that I wasn't getting enough playtime and was spending too much time with my addiction. But a couple of pushers, "teachers," told her it was cool and to be sure I had a good reading light.

(But you told us elsewhere that you played all day long every day...)

True, but I always had a book on the porch for when it was too hot and we needed to cool down a bit. Reading on the porch swing, flying back and forth, was our own perpetual motion fan.

I eventually left home because the addiction was pulling me in, deeper and deeper. I found a group of users at a "university" and moved from scifi to poetry, modern lit, and especially medieval lit. The really hard stuff.

Eventually, the group had enough of me and kicked me out with a single sheet of paper. For some strange reason they said I was now a Bachelor, even though I'm a girl?

Without guidance from society, I slipped back into scifi. I found a ready source online, Amazon, and was seduced by their scifi "get 5 for the price of 4" specials. Soon, my home was bursting at the seams with paraphenalia, such as pbooks, booklights, reading glasses, and lately, magnifying glasses.

A year ago, I hit bottom. I was spending all my money on pbooks. It was coming between my husband and me. He had to carry my heavy bags of books, you know, since he's the guy. Then I was introduced to a way to freebase - an EB-1150. It takes books right off my computer and packages them in lightweight plastic. I found places to get my fix for free. I wound up at MobileRead, where I risk my job every day in order to socialize with the other addicts.

I now read several times every day. I'm not looking for help, just here at the meeting to brag about it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'm DixieGal and I'm a readaholic too.

(Hi DixieGal)

I have been addicted for a long time. It all started at age 7 with my first book, Black Beauty. It had a beautiful black horse running through autumn leaves on the cover. I slept with it beside my pillow. That was my gateway book. I moved on to The Aristocats and Nancy Drew, and although they say it is harmless and non-addicting, I found myself unable to stop.

At about age 10, I moved on to the harder stuff: Nova by Ben Bova. It was my first hard science scifi. It read good, and I re-read it over and over to experience that feeling of pleasure it gave me. I needed my fix more frequently and turned to "borrowing from the library." Sometimes I would even ask my mom to drive me downtown to get my fix in the rain or darkness. Sure, she worried, afraid that I wasn't getting enough playtime and was spending too much time with my addiction. But a couple of pushers, "teachers," told her it was cool and to be sure I had a good reading light.

(But you told us elsewhere that you played all day long every day...)

True, but I always had a book on the porch for when it was too hot and we needed to cool down a bit. Reading on the porch swing, flying back and forth, was our own perpetual motion fan.

I eventually left home because the addiction was pulling me in, deeper and deeper. I found a group of users at a "university" and moved from scifi to poetry, modern lit, and especially medieval lit. The really hard stuff.

Eventually, the group had enough of me and kicked me out with a single sheet of paper. For some strange reason they said I was now a Bachelor, even though I'm a girl?

Without guidance from society, I slipped back into scifi. I found a ready source online, Amazon, and was seduced by their scifi "get 5 for the price of 4" specials. Soon, my home was bursting at the seams with paraphenalia, such as pbooks, booklights, reading glasses, and lately, magnifying glasses.

A year ago, I hit bottom. I was spending all my money on pbooks. It was coming between my husband and me. He had to carry my heavy bags of books, you know, since he's the guy. Then I was introduced to a way to freebase - an EB-1150. It takes books right off my computer and packages them in lightweight plastic. I found places to get my fix for free. I wound up at MobileRead, where I risk my job every day in order to socialize with the other addicts.

I now read several times every day. I'm not looking for help, just here at the meeting to brag about it.
!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now I got an adsense for a reading lamp!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Wonderful
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi krisk and welcome to the Forum. I've got good news and bad news for you:

Good News:There is a cure for readaholism

Bad News: You have to read about it and that gets you hooked worse
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi krisk and welcome to the Forum. I've got good news and bad news for you:

Good News:There is a cure for readaholism

Bad News: You have to read about it and that gets you hooked worse
bbbbut I don't want to be cured!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Krisk, by posting here you are tethering on another addiction

Welcome to MR.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
bbbbut I don't want to be cured!
Good. We had a thread on this earlier this year. You can read it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=addiction
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

not that cassidy would know anything about addiction to reading. would you cassidy ?