Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Tablet computer for Writing?

Does anyone here at MR have a good suggestion for an inexpensive tablet computer for word processing? Something with a good battery life that isn't too heavy to carry round.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Asus line of transformers is what I would recommend, for example:

http://eee.asus.com/en/the-new-transformer-pad

Any of them would work well, so you can get the cheapest one - or blow the bank on the newest most powerful one, pending your budget.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion VydorScope. I'll take a good look at what they have.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You did not mention keyboard but I'd recommend it if you were not planning on it. Finger picken is great for chicken but not typing anything too long.

I'd seek out forums on models you are considering and check out real life battery life. My Acer 8-9 hour actually is around 4-5 in use.

If you need Word then windows is a must of course, though they have some cheaper Atom processor Windows units with office.

Andorid has several office suites if you don't need microsoft and they would be a bit cheaper. Along the android line, you might look at the Samsung NOTE series, they have the S pen and other features that might gain your attention. I think they have a 10 inch coming soon.

All depends on your eyesight as to how small you can go, how adept as to typing on smaller keyboards. I used to work on a windows CE unit for hours that was 8 inch, slow and smaller keyboard.

10 inch tablets get a bit heavy so keep an eye on weight. My windows 10 inch is as heavy as a netbook.

Best buy trip to play and seek info might help.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest a Microsoft Surface Windows RT tablet. Lightweight, good battery life, and comes with Office included in the price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
RT is practically dead at this point. I wouldn't invest in windows for ARM. But there's still the surface pro.

Any atom device comes with office for free and bay trail atoms are far more impressive than past designs. The transformer t100 is an exceptionally good deal that comes with the real version of windows and office, and comes with the attachable keyboard that makes the package far more portable (clam shell protection is under-rated in the world of tablets).

The Dell Venue Pros are worth looking at as well. If you want extra extra portable and don't mind a bluetooth keyboard, even the 8" venue pro might be worth consideration. Though I might recommend pairing it with lenovo's tablet bt keyboard instead of Dell's.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Does anyone here at MR have a good suggestion for an inexpensive tablet computer for word processing? Something with a good battery life that isn't too heavy to carry round.
I'm actually using an Asus Memo Pad HD 7 for much of my writing lately. It meets your requirements for being inexpensive, lightweight, and decent battery life.

Whether it meets your needs for word processing is another question -- the screen is pretty small, but I find that in portrait orientation, with a bluetooth keyboard, and using JotterPad X (minimalist writing app), it is a functional writing tool for my needs.

cheers,
andrew
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
It seems like ages ago that the Thinkpad 701 with the butterfly keyboard came out. Laptops screens got bigger quickly, and there soon wasn't much use for the butterfly keyboard despite the clever design. Now that people are migrating back to dinky screens, it might be time for a revival.

If i could remember the hd password for my old thinkpad i'd be using that today. No wireless, no distractions, just me, emacs & a proper laptop keyboard.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
s.lee.f
s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s.lee.f ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4 non touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
I'm actually using an Asus Memo Pad HD 7 for much of my writing lately. It meets your requirements for being inexpensive, lightweight, and decent battery life.
Whether it meets your needs for word processing is another question -- the screen is pretty small, but I find that in portrait orientation, with a bluetooth keyboard, and using JotterPad X (minimalist writing app), it is a functional writing tool for my needs.
cheers,
andrew
I second it. This was exactly what i was thinking. The cheapest tablets i have seen are about 99 quid in argos and you can get some smart mp3 players such as the Samsung ones. Do the same things as a tablet but the size of a phone. You can get some blutooth keyboards for them I think.

Last edited by s.lee.f; 02-27-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: grammar
s.lee.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. I'll give the Asus a look. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Tablets suck for writing. They are okay for banging out new text, but editing is hopeless. I use a rooted Nook ST to write on. It's light and e-ink is easier on the eyes. It's okay. But it fricking kills my thumbs after a while, as would a tablet. Despite that, it's very good to work on for shortish bursts. I find the small size and light-weight essential for writing on the move. I have a 10-inch Samsung and I never write on it. Too big and heavy. I also suspect that ipads are better for editing. The screen seems more sensitive and exact than any tablet I've tried. Shame about the paucity of good, free software on ipads.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Shame about the paucity of good, free software on ipads.
Apple now give you their "office" suite - "Pages", "Numbers", and "Keynote" - for free. "Pages" is a pretty reasonable word processor. An iPad with an external keyboard makes a good writing platform.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
I've use my Kindle Fire HDX for writing short stuff. I have the Belkin case with a keyboard on it and it works good with the Pro office app. I still use my laptop most of the time though. Still, you could probably buy almost any tablet that will run an office app well and use a bluetooth keyboard with it. I think editing and formatting would be hell on them though.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apple now give you their "office" suite - "Pages", "Numbers", and "Keynote" - for free. "Pages" is a pretty reasonable word processor. An iPad with an external keyboard makes a good writing platform.
Glad you said that, Harry. I find Pages to be excellent. I also use an external BT keyboard which serves as a smartcover for travel.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/produc...keyboard-cover

On another note, the word is that Microsoft will be releasing office for iOS.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I have founds a partial solution to my problem. I have a Netbook whose adapter and battery had gone bad. By good fortune I found replacements for both for under $40.00 for both through Amazon. So now it's more a matter of getting junk files cleared off and being able to do a system restore to set it back to it's initial state (if possible). Anyway I will be able to run Scrivener on the Netbook so that will be a plus. I will have something to use while saving up my $$ for something that works better if nothing else.