Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Yidaki66
1st timer
Yidaki66 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Collections

Is it possible to have a collection within a collection. As wife and I share the kindle 3.
Example; My books/
Thrillers/
Horrors/ ETC.
Yidaki66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, but you can have the same book in multiple collections, so you could have "My Thrillers", "Her Thrillers", etc, with some of the same books in each.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if the K3 will track each location within the book separately when the book is in more than one collection. I suspect it will not, though that would be cool. If it only tracks location once per book then it will be a pain if both people are reading it during the same time frame.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would use book marks if you read the same book at the same time. I doubt that Kindle keeps track of the progress in each book on the same Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder if the K3 will track each location within the book separately when the book is in more than one collection. I suspect it will not, though that would be cool. If it only tracks location once per book then it will be a pain if both people are reading it during the same time frame.
I'm guessing not. The collection is not so much a folder as a tag. It's not creating a separate copy of the file for each collection. That would be confusing if you accessed it through one collection and read for awhile then went back to it through another and had no bookmark. If two people are reading at the same time, it's much simpler to either avoid connecting to the network or temporarily disable Whispersync on your account.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would use book marks if you read the same book at the same time. I doubt that Kindle keeps track of the progress in each book on the same Kindle.
I foresee even that could be a problem... How would one know, which bookmark is theirs?

A better solution maybe to utilize notes to act as your bookmark and enter your initials or name as the note. It would probably be helpful if you are bookmarking a lot to delete the notes/bookmarks as you go, so that you don't end up with a ton of them.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm guessing not. The collection is not so much a folder as a tag. It's not creating a separate copy of the file for each collection. That would be confusing if you accessed it through one collection and read for awhile then went back to it through another and had no bookmark. If two people are reading at the same time, it's much simpler to either avoid connecting to the network or temporarily disable Whispersync on your account.
However, if two people are reading on the same device, the whispersync isn't the problem. As far as the device and its programming are concerned, only one person is reading and the network won't have any influence.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote