Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
MobileRead status on newly PD Famous writers.

I'm putting this thread here because I'm not certain where else to put it.

Raymond Chandler died in 1959. That means his works, which are still in print in lots of countries, will go public domain in Canada on Jan 1, 2010. That's less than 2 months from now.

With all the lawyer problems around Margaret Mitchell's work, does MR plan to host Chandler (and Lester Dent as well - he died in 1959 as well), assuming some public-spirited Canadian citizen uploads them.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if the texts are pd in canada then there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't. hopefully they'll appear soon on gutenberg or some kind-hearted person will go to the trouble of scanning them as a personal project.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if the texts are pd in canada then there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't. hopefully they'll appear soon on gutenberg or some kind-hearted person will go to the trouble of scanning them as a personal project.

Well, Zelda, there may be a reason. Some estate have sued and/or demanded takedown notices to Canadian servers posting books that are PD in Canada but not in, say, the US. The Margaret Mitchell estate is notorious for this, that is why Gone With the Wind is not on the Mobile Read server. It's been public domain in Canada for a decade (died 1949). It's available on PG Australia, grandfathered in when the US free trade agreement forced them to go from life + 50 to life + 70.

To fight the demand has been more money than any Canadian website has been willing to host, so there is no case law to refer to. That chilling precedent may affect what Mobile Read is willing to host, so I was basically asking Alex whether there was a policy.

(And smile when you call me a lawyer....)
Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, i certainly understand that. and i don't know personally whether the chandler estate is particularly litigious. but i don't think we should walk on eggshells just in case ; public domain is public domain, that is the law. unless there is some sort of precedent which would put mobileread in danger of a lawsuit from some unscrupulous and greedy rights holders, i think our policy is "respect copyright law".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Conde' Nast is, and 3/4 of all the Doc Savages go PD in Canada Jan 1 2010...
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Doc Savage! I used to love "the man of Bronze" I wonder how it holds up? I haven't read those books since i was a kid.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
What would be the status of Killer in the Rain which was published in 1964 after Chandler's death.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sax Rohmer also died in 1959. A lot of his stuff is already in the public domain, but there are a lot that were published after 1922.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
What would be the status of Killer in the Rain which was published in 1964 after Chandler's death.

Posthumus works have their own separate timer. I don't remember the exact details, it's buried in the copyright act...
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The day Issac Asimov's works enter the public domain, Project Gutenberg will double in size!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Doc Savage! I used to love "the man of Bronze" I wonder how it holds up? I haven't read those books since i was a kid.
There's a recent comic book special that you might be interested in. On 11 November 2009 DC Comics released a Batman/Doc Savage Special. Based on that the ad for the special says, it appears to me that they are going to integrate Doc Savage into the DC Universe but put him on a different Earth than the one the rest of the DC characters are on.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Ben, I'm speaking off the top of my head here. I read Killer in the Rain ca. 1974. It is my recollection that it was a collection of short stories published back in the day, I imagine before The Big Sleep.

Perhaps your 1964 date refers to when the stories were collected into one volume.

If I am right (and don't bet the ranch), they should all become PD January 1 along with the rest of his work.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:51 AM   #13
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Thanks Solitaire1 I will check it out, thinking of hitting the bookstore this weekend.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to clarify - we do not "plan" on hosting or not hosting any specific books (with the notable exception of "Gone With the Wind" where, to be honest, it's just not worth the hassle - if you want it, download it from PG Australia). If someone wishes to upload Mr. Chandler's books on or after 1st Jan 2010, we will happily host them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just to clarify - we do not "plan" on hosting or not hosting any specific books (with the notable exception of "Gone With the Wind" where, to be honest, it's just not worth the hassle - if you want it, download it from PG Australia). If someone wishes to upload Mr. Chandler's books on or after 1st Jan 2010, we will happily host them.

As I understand it, Copyright is country sensitive i.e. life plus x for national writers or assimilated. Signatories to the Berne Convention is life plus 50?

So Chandler will be in the PD in the EU? But Maurice Lblanc is CP for a little time to come in France (died in 41), but is already PD elsewhere?
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote