Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #676
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I'm listening to Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Amazing narration. Love Bartimaeus the jinn.
That's a great audiobook series. I found all four very entertaining.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #677
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished Weber's "Midst Toil and Tribulation" a week or so ago and am now listening to Asprin's "The Bug Wars". Both are good listens. The Safehold series is a bit long and has been a bit tedious in places, but I think Weber has it back on track now.

I'm running into a bit of a problem. For some reason, I can't get iTunes to copy the latest set of audiobooks that I bought down to my iTouch/iPhone or iPad. I'm not sure what the problem is. I can listen to them fine in iTunes and I can download them via the audible app, but the iTunes won't copy them. It's a bit of a bummer for me since I like to listen in my car and I have them in a playlist so I won't have to fiddle with the iTouch while I drive. I've seen a few reports from other people with the same problem, so hopefully Apple will fix the problem soon. Fortunately I have a few months worth of books to listen to on the list already.
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #678
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I'm listening to Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Amazing narration. Love Bartimaeus the jinn.
I have this on my TBR, it was one of Sync's downloads last year (I think). Haven't listened to it yet because a couple of years ago I tried to read the book and gave up midway through. A great narration might fix that problem, though. And my tastes for fantasy have also changed with time, so I might pick it up soon.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #679
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I highly recommend Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie, for Hugh Fraser's voicing the thoughts of Bob the dog.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #680
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've heard both, and both are good. But the Steven Fry versions are superior, IMHO.
Thank you for the recommendation.
I'm almost finished with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, narrated by Stephen Fry, and I like it very much.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #681
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm listening to Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly. A middle-class British working mom forgets her daughter's friend is supposed to spend the night and the girl goes missed. Because the protagonist forgot, the girl isn't reported missing until she doesn't show up for school the next day. The narration is pretty good.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #682
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'm listening to Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly. A middle-class British working mom forgets her daughter's friend is supposed to spend the night and the girl goes missed. Because the protagonist forgot, the girl isn't reported missing until she doesn't show up for school the next day. The narration is pretty good.
Oh, I just listened to this one a few weeks back. I liked it a lot, and will look for more from the author.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #683
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Anyone Have any suggestions from the Audible Monster Bogo?
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #684
Bompa65
Connoisseur
Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.Bompa65 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Vox
Celtic Women on PBS.

Sweet Sounds they make!!!!

Bompa65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #685
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
I picked up 'Smoke and Ashes' by Tanya Huff. I think I may have read this many years ago, but I don't remember any details. I haven't started it yet.

I also got 'The Clockwork Universe' by Edward Dolnick. It is a non-fiction work about the first century of the British Royal Society in the 1600s. I am only an hour into and so far it has been fascinating.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #686
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald07 View Post
Anyone Have any suggestions from the Audible Monster Bogo?
One of the most recent Phryne Fisher books is in there. Can't remember what I paired it up with.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #687
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just picked up a bunch of audiobooks that were on my wish list with the big sale, a lot of 4-6 dollar audiobooks. Of course, a lot were part of a series with a least one book that is regular price. I'll pick those up when it's time to listen to them.

Right now, I'm listening to a Warlock in Spite of himself, by Christopher Stasheff. It's one of those performance books with a number of voice talents and sound effects. Those who don't like such things definitely won't like this one. It's not horrible, but I think that a lot of the sound and voice effects (such as Fess with an R2D2 style voice) are distracting and make the words hard to understand. The Tamora Pierce books use the same technique (multiple voice actors) but they do it much, much better.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #688
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just started listening to Trade Secret, written by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller and read by Kevin T. Collins. This is the sequel to Balance of Trade, the third in the "Books of Before" in the Liaden Universe. Balance of Trade makes a good entry point into the Liaden Universe, and Trade Secret is a worthy sequel. My only complaint is that it will be a long time until we hear any more from Jethri Gobelyn, since any further adventures for him will need to wait until the authors complete a current round of 5 books already under contract that are timed later in the Liaden Universe.

Trade Secret tells the ongoing story of Jethri Gobelyn, now adopted of Clan Ixen and associate trader on Ixen's trade ship Elthoria. This is a worthy successor to Balance of Trade, and highly recommended. My only caveat is that I'm finding the reading of Kevin T. Collins less satisfying this time around. The pace feels just a trifle rushed, with the need for a bit more emphasis of the spacing in the story. But still well worth the listen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #689
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I lucked out and Bill Bryson's One American Summer was available in eaudio from the library. It is fun, if not my favorite Bryson.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #690
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Just started Among Others by Jo Walton narrated by Katherine Kellgren. So far I have really enjoyed the book and glad that I picked the audiobook. Narration is in Welsh accent which gives the book even more perspective. It’s a bit different book than I generally enjoy and not sure if I would have continued had I tried to read it. But I am sure I will try more books by Jo Walton after this.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations