Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
PastTense
PastTense began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting a Multi-Thousand File Mess into a Clean Library: Advice?

Suppose one had many thousand ebook files in multiple formats--ranging from older files in txt, rtf, pdf, lit, etc to more modern files in epub and mobi--these just being the more popular of the formats used. One book may be represented by one to several of these formats. And duplications of identical format files are common (for example via backups or by copying the same file into more than one location because it fits into multiple categories or downloading a file more than once).

I think epub would be adequate as a final result with no need for other formats--with one possible exception--I am not sure about pdf files. How does reading pdf files in the Calibre viewer for all formats compare to reading them in a pdf program such as Adobe or Sumatra?

Any advice on how to convert this mess into a clean library? (for example the Find Duplicates, Quality, and Extract ISBN plugins look useful).

Thanks.
PastTense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@PastTense - if the PDFs are not easy to convert (multi column, sidebars, infographics etc) read with a PDF reader of your your choice.

I would create three libraries - a WorkBench library, a Main library and a 2BSorted library, I would add format files to the Workbench library in batches (start with small batches in case you want to start over) resolve the Authors and Titles (Extract ISBN, download metadata). And then use the Find Duplicates-Library Duplicates to identify duplicates in WorkBench and Main, move the duplicates to the 2BSorted library and the non duplicates to the Main library. Do next batch.

Once Main has all the books I'd deal with the 2BSorted library - how would depend on number etc

You're on the right track with the PI's you've identified those are the main ones that come to mind

There's an Add On you might want to consider ==>> QuarantineAndScrub

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
PastTense
PastTense began at the beginning.

Thank you for your comment BetterRead. Multiple libraries looks like a very good idea.

I use XP, so apparently the latest Calibre version it works with is 1.48, correct? And QuarantineandScrub requires a later Calibre version, correct?

As you know the more specialized the subject the easier it is to do a search and with a general subject like this I don't know how to do a search for it. So does anyone here have any threads they would suggest which address this question--where posters discuss their strategies?

Thanks.
PastTense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@PastTense - I suspect your search-fu is better than you think

I did a search for lots of books in this sub-forum and half way down first page there was this thread ==>> Setting-up a big library - where to start?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote